What is your success rate as a client hunting leopards?

I’ve hunted leopards 4 different times, taking 3 nice Tom’s.

May,1983, Deka Safari Area, Zimbabwe. This was my first ever safari, a 24 day full bag hunt with Roy Vincent as my PH. I shot a big Tom about 2 hours into my first sit. IIRC, we had 4 baits up and 3 were being fed on.

June, 1989, Kalahari Desert, Botswana. Another 24 day hunt, with the first 8 days in the desert. Our 1st day we cut a big track and the Bushmen jumped off the truck and started tracking. About 4 hours later we had a beautiful, pale desert cat. It was long and lean.

Late October, 2021, Mlele Reserve, Tanzania. This was my unsuccessful hunt. It was late season and hot. There were lots of young animals everywhere so leopards had easy pickings and didn’t need to hit baits. Still, we had nice Tom’s feeding in 3 different trees. But the cats zigged when we zagged, had no pattern and at the end of 16 days I left without having a leopard opportunity. Saeed preceeded me and had the same problems. I will not hunt leopards during late season in the heat and after animals have dropped their young.

August 2023, Selous Game Reserve/Madaba, Tanzania. This place is absolutely lousy with leopards and Alan Vincent is a damn good leopard hunter. We had 7 baits up with cats feeding on 6 of them. We built a blind where we had pictures of a nice Tom feeding and sat the blind the next morning. The Tom came in at 7:55 and I shot him at 8:00 AM. The hunter before me also shot a cat right about at 8:00 AM. Interestingly, I shot the leopard on a full ‘super moon’.

I think anyone interested in a quality leopard hunt should focus on area first, then PH. I’d also hunt earlier in season when it’s a bit cooler and newborn animals haven’t yet dropped. Stick to places like the Selous, Luangwa Valley or Niassa Reserve and you’re likely to get an opportunity without too many days invested.

View attachment 628194
You hit the nail on the head. Save for an extra year and go to one of the places above and 99% is the expectation when leopard hunting.

3 Leopards hunted, 4 sittings and 3 Leopards killed. Zim, Namibia and Zambia.
Area, PH and costs are huge drivers. Certain areas are known for big cats and high success and you pay for it. A big cat is smart and needs a really good experienced “Cat man” to outsmart them. Some areas have high success but on average, smaller Leopards…Selous, Niassa and Luangwa. Many areas are marginal and the price is what entices hunters only to leave with no cat and lack of sleep. There are exceptions to everything, positive or negative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamespatterson5

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with