What is the most iconic African tree?

What is the most iconic African tree?


  • Total voters
    36
Acacia’s scream Africa to me. They are everywhere. I’ve wanted to see a Boab but have never had the opportunity.
 
You know when you see it, it just screams Africa. So here are some contenders so long, maybe on of our IT gurus can make a live vote.
Flat top acacia
Baobab
Sausage tree (kigelia)
Pod mahogany
Albida
Msasa
Camel thorn
Knobthorn
Leadwood
Tamboeti
Marula

my choice sa far - sausage tree, with the expectation of a leopard up there.
Baobab Is my vote. Here’s the biggest I’ve seen. About 120 feet tall. Hard to guess the diameter. Located in Dande North.
758FC114-C15F-4E92-A055-F66B7CE281B9.jpeg
 
I’m not sure about the most iconic three, but the thorn has to be southern Africa’s iconic flower!
 
Baobab trees are certainly iconic, as are lone acacias. But a fever tree forest at dawn - that impressed me!

P1160163.jpeg
 
Baobab trees are certainly iconic, as are lone acacias. But a fever tree forest at dawn - that impressed me!

View attachment 425469
Something etherial about fever trees, that light green bark is striking. I believe it is the only tree that photosynthesises through the bark.
 
You may have gathered I like trees. On our Harare property we have 53 species of trees that were here naturally and we have added many Zambezi trees including baobab, ebony, buffalo thorn, marula, rain tree, sausage tree, leadwood, mopane, stikulia, pink jacaranda, wisteria and knobthorn. All are doing well except the mopane, I think they need company to thrive.
 
I’m with IVW - Adisonia Digitata.
 
You may have gathered I like trees. On our Harare property we have 53 species of trees that were here naturally and we have added many Zambezi trees including baobab, ebony, buffalo thorn, marula, rain tree, sausage tree, leadwood, mopane, stikulia, pink jacaranda, wisteria and knobthorn. All are doing well except the mopane, I think they need company to thrive.
Mohane difficult to grow! I tried to grow them to bonsai as a school project back in the day. They are very soil specific.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,258
Messages
1,570,020
Members
168,799
Latest member
Mkinneyi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top