What is the dumbest thing you ever did to damage a brand new gun?

When I was 12 years old my parents gave me a Remington 870 for Christmas. During Christmas break from school I went hunting upland game. As a boy growing up in central Kansas in the 70's birds were plentiful. Quail, Pheasant, and Prairie Chicken were all present on the family farm.

On this fateful morning we had a little ice storm the previous night. I had a barbed wire fence I needed to cross and was reluctant to lay my new shotgun on the damp, icy ground. I unloaded the chamber and then used the plate on the buttstock to push the top wire down so I could go over. After crossing I let the shotgun tilt slightly and the wire sprang up and gouged the stock of my brand new Wingmaster.

I still cringe when thinking about it and I could take you to the exact location in the fence line to this day.

Props to Savage for taking care of me. I sent them an email and I didn't hear anything for 2 weeks. All of a sudden they replied saying they are sending me a new stock. (y)

Lent it to a friend. Knucklehead caused me to learn how to refinish a VERY scraped up stock.

When I was 12 years old my parents gave me a Remington 870 for Christmas. During Christmas break from school I went hunting upland game. As a boy growing up in central Kansas in the 70's birds were plentiful. Quail, Pheasant, and Prairie Chicken were all present on the family farm.

On this fateful morning we had a little ice storm the previous night. I had a barbed wire fence I needed to cross and was reluctant to lay my new shotgun on the damp, icy ground. I unloaded the chamber and then used the plate on the buttstock to push the top wire down so I could go over. After crossing I let the shotgun tilt slightly and the wire sprang up and gouged the stock of my brand new Wingmaster.

I still cringe when thinking about it and I could take you to the exact location in the fence line to this day.
@Rem700stw
Better to scratch the stock than sing soprano for a while and untangling your nuts from barbed wire
Bob

Be carful what you loan to whom.
I loaned my new truck to a friend to haul his engine block to a shop for repairs. When he returned my truck the front bed rail was bent to the cab and dented below from sliding forward on braking. It seems he didn't bother strapping it down and wasn't worried about the bed because it was a truck. A brother in law borrowed the same truck to haul some landscaping railroad ties. He returned it with gravel gouges on the bed they were thrown on and left two junk ones for me since they didn't suit him. Dare I done the same things to their truck or property? To this type it matters not if it is a gun, knife or truck etc. A $5k vs $100 walmart shotgun is all the same when someone else owns it.

One day I went to the store to see the Czech rifles Brno K98. This is an almost authentic military Mauser, only in different calibers. Unlike CZ, they even had a military-style safer (the Czech Republic, generally speaking, was the arsenal of the Wehrmacht in World War II, and Czech hunting rifles used parts from military stocks for a long time). But I spotted a unique Tula-made rifle - a combined MC105 - and bought it. Now these are not produced. Sellers, seeing a prospective buyer, gave me a Spanish leather case and a box for cartridges. In general, my head was spinning, and when I was picking up my purchases, the barrels fell out of the case with a bang - I forgot to fasten it. Fortunately, the Tula steel was of high quality, and no damage occurred, although there was a pothole in the marble floor. Well, the scar on the myocardium, of course. It is this rifle in the photos:
2m.jpg
5m.jpg

Be carful what you loan to whom.
I loaned my new truck to a friend to haul his engine block to a shop for repairs. When he returned my truck the front bed rail was bent to the cab and dented below from sliding forward on braking. It seems he didn't bother strapping it down and wasn't worried about the bed because it was a truck. A brother in law borrowed the same truck to haul some landscaping railroad ties. He returned it with gravel gouges on the bed they were thrown on and left two junk ones for me since they didn't suit him. Dare I done the same things to their truck or property? To this type it matters not if it is a gun, knife or truck etc. A $5k vs $100 walmart shotgun is all the same when someone else owns it.
@Sabattiboy
In Australia we have a saying.
Never lend your vehicle, wife or othe item you cherish as sooner or latter they will all come back fucked.

when i was 16 i bought a winchester model 1200 pump. first time i went duck hunting with it, i put it on the roof of my buddy's car while i got out of my vest, etc. i forgot that it was there until we had driven up to about 30 mph with it still on the roof. i finally realized what that rattling was and shouted to my buddy dennis "stop the car, my guns up there!!" well, he stopped pretty suddenly, and my shiny new gun flew off the roof and clattered down the gravel road we were on, :(

it got a few gouges/scratches most noticeable on the vent rib. oh well, i cried a little inside, wiped off the dirt and gravel and threw it in the car and moved on. sounds pretty funny now!

when i was 16 i bought a winchester model 1200 pump. first time i went duck hunting with it, i put it on the roof of my buddy's car while i got out of my vest, etc. i forgot that it was there until we had driven up to about 30 mph with it still on the roof. i finally realized what that rattling was and shouted to my buddy dennis "stop the car, my guns up there!!" well, he stopped pretty suddenly, and my shiny new gun flew off the roof and clattered down the gravel road we were on, :(

it got a few gouges/scratches most noticeable on the vent rib. oh well, i cried a little inside, wiped off the dirt and gravel and threw it in the car and moved on. sounds pretty funny now!

Not sure if this is a competition but if it is I think you win. For effort if nothing else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NicolasMos

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]