What is the best car you have ever owned?

My gun inventory, is worth more then an average middle class car, brand new.
Aded to that, scopes, binos, cameras, outdoor wardrobe, spotting scopes, small items, long range camera for target shooting.. I am afraid to even try calculating the value.

After my 18 year old car died on me recently, my next car will be second hand car, not sure yet which one.

Two come to mind

My 99 4runner, on 35s and supercharged. It was a fun truck.

The one I miss the most was my 2005 Ram 3500 SWR. My friends and I custom made the suspension, 2.5 king coilover on all 4 corners. It was on 42" tires, on those it made 523hp and 1187ftlb of torque. I had it 5' off the ground over 100mph, it was fun.
Well you are still here which says a lot about the handling of that truck.

I swear to you the Ford 2000-3000-4000-5000 (esp. the 5000) are amongst the most reliable tractors EVER. While my neighbor is having his rather colorful all-hydraulic 3 cyl turbo o' india/japan/china being winched up a rollback, i just turn the key and metal older than me simply starts right up and gets to work! :) The 5000 is my go to when the larger tractors experience difficulties (dead battery, flat tire, etc.) It can still operate large mowers, plows, discs. It definitely clears insects/birds out of the barn when idling (as compared to the much cleaner exhaust of the newer 2000s+ models.) 'Pulled into a gas station w/ a flat front tire/wheel in the back of the truck and the Indian proprietor saw it and said "Ohhhh Ford 5000?" lol Yep, he operated them on a tea farm back home. The universal utility tractor.
My grandfather had a Ford 4400 industrial backhoe he bought from the state. The hour meter turned over 10k hours twice before it broke and that was before I was born. No glow plugs but always started immediately even on the coldest days with only a shot of ether. We dug basements, cleared land, and built piers. In spite of a complete lack of safety gear my grandfather survived a rollover when a creek bank caved in and he was 82 years old. Once the broken bones healed he got back on it and dug it out. He's long gone now but the backhoe survives. Every time I hear that sound of the reduction starter and smell diesel exhaust I'm transported back to my childhood riding it with him.

1956 Chevy Belaire , my first car. After that, '83 Bronco II. Then '03 Silverado.

Porsche 911. Never did anything but tires brakes and oil to that car and it's now worth 10 grand more than I paid for it 10 years later. Never should have sold it

My Land Cruiser 79. It’s a 2013 4,0 V6 petrol. Easy to service myself, great hunting rig, wonderful holiday car for myself and the wife, being kitted out well enough for camping trips and nice and high for game viewing in the reserves. My dog has grown quite attached to her as well…

View attachment 432659
@Dewald
It ain't a NISSAN. We didn't get that power plant option inthe land Cruiser just the HiLux in Australia.
Bob

A ‘78 Ford F-150. It was the first new vehicle I bought. Evidently others liked it as well as it was stolen once (recovered with only the stereo ripped out) and attempted on five other times.
Don’t laugh… a ‘93 Ford Windstar… Yes a mini van. I’d take out the seats, I’d take it turkey hunting and sleep in the back. It had front wheel drive and was like a tank. An off road vehicle it wasn’t, but did well on muddy roads and going across fields.

I have never owned a car... only trucks. I am very much function over fashion. Living in Alaska my criteria are simple: 4 WD and the heat works. My truck needs to easily get the boat in and out of the lake (there is no concrete launch; just a gravel slope with a varying water level) and keep me warm in the winter. The truck currently doing that is a 2005 Ford F-150.

My favorite I still own. It's a 1976 Dodge D100. I have had it since HS. Memories made with it dictate that I'll never part with it.
@Tundra Tiger
Is that memories made in it or children conceived in it or a bit of both
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Best one was 1990 Porsche Targa C2. I got it along with a beach house and a Baltic 48DP sailboat after my first divorce. ;)

Had a lot of fun with it and sold it after 27+ years and 250K+ miles for a bit over half of what I paid for it.

At about the same time I had commissioned a Harley kept it until I had my right hip replaced a few years ago, then I sold it as did not want to take a chance.

View attachment 432679
Now, I enjoy SUVs, 4Runners specifically.

full
@Tanks
As long as you don't drink to much and forget the tent is on the roof your hips and body should be fine. If you forget that first step will be a pearler.

My grandfather had a Ford 4400 industrial backhoe he bought from the state. The hour meter turned over 10k hours twice before it broke and that was before I was born. No glow plugs but always started immediately even on the coldest days with only a shot of ether. We dug basements, cleared land, and built piers. In spite of a complete lack of safety gear my grandfather survived a rollover when a creek bank caved in and he was 82 years old. Once the broken bones healed he got back on it and dug it out. He's long gone now but the backhoe survives. Every time I hear that sound of the reduction starter and smell diesel exhaust I'm transported back to my childhood riding it with him.
'Have seen many of 'em in action over the years (often painted safety yellow for municipal use,) and all wind up in private hands down the pike. And, yep, even the manual says "ether injection" for cold starts (spray starting fluid in the air intake above the hood.) Neighbor just gobbled up the Fords (had to have 'em, but I can always borrow if needed.) Now just have a new MF 3 cyl turbo 4x4, a relatively new JD 2wd turbo six, and the old gas MF (selling the latter as a land maintenance/food plotting package w/ mower, plow, seeder, roller for 7.5K). I can do everything i need accomplished with the first two, as the collection was amassed over the years by upgrading, but not selling (until now.) Some ag mechanics say that many municipal tractors/equipment are maintained religiously, so they often last longer than average on-the-farm equipment.

1991 One Ton First Gen. Twelve Valve Cummins. It was the most reliable truck I’ve ever had. Half a million miles when I sold it, and I’ve regretted it ever since.

Is not fast, it's not pretty.
But this is the first vehicle i bought when I moved to the US from England. 1997 F250 7.3 Powerstroke. I bought it in '09 with 83k on the clock & it's about ripe to hit 400. I've been from Canada to Mexico, East coast to West in the old thing & only once has she let me down (serpentine belt) I installed a tuner that gets me 21mpg & warped the heads just enough to never have to worry about changing the oil (new filter & a BIG top up 4 times a year. Little top ups weekly) I love this old thing so much, that if i had the money to buy a new one, I'd use it to restore her.
I've spent more nights than i can count under that shell.....

20171019_114517.jpg
20220311_085143.jpg

1998 Chevrolet 2dr Metro hatchback. Drove it for 12 years, rarely required maintenance and it was still getting 42 MPG when I sold it. I paid $6000 for it. I regret selling it.
It was solid white. Everyone called it "THE EGG"

When I was a senior in high school (1982) I pooled my trapping money from the previous 2 seasons and bought a 1976 Datsun ( now Mitsubishi) 280Z. It was a great car for someone in high school. Only problem was I would take it hunting and if I killed a whitetail I’d have to find my dad and borrow his truck to haul it home.

When I was a senior in high school (1982) I pooled my trapping money from the previous 2 seasons and bought a 1976 Datsun ( now Mitsubishi) 280Z. It was a great car for someone in high school. Only problem was I would take it hunting and if I killed a whitetail I’d have to find my dad and borrow his truck to haul it home.
@Hunt anything
Datsun became NISSAN not mitsabitchy. Never get a NISSAN 4X4 mixed up with a mitsabitchy 4x4 . The NISSAN is far better.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

gunslinger1971 wrote on Gray Fox's profile.
Do you still have the Browning 1895 and do you want to sell it? I'm might be interested. If so please let me know and do you have any pictures?

Steve in Missouri
[redacted]
Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.