What Is Better .308 or 30-06?

Definition is following, but we will see what the OP will say.
100 - 300 short range
300 - 600 medium range
600 - 900/1000 long range
@mark-hunter
What do you consider long range for hunting purposes?
For hunting I would approximate:
5-100 yards short range
100-300 medium range
300-450 bipod needed entering long range
450+ long range hunting

IMO, for target shooting. The .308 gets the nod. As for hunting, for the most part the .308 and ‘06 are within ~100 fps of each other. Since this is a hunting forum, I take it that is what the OP is referring to.
“Long range” is a nebulous term and everyone has their idea of what it constitutes. My thoughts on it are similar to Colorado’s but slightly different:
Short range: <100 yds
Medium range: 100-250 yds
Long range: 250-500 yds (for me the 400yd + shots would be only under perfect circumstances.)
For me the max range shot is one that you can place with utmost certainty and that you know the bullet will properly perform.
So.to answer the question as to which round, the .30/06 gets the nod from me for three reasons…
1) Handloaded in a 24” barrel, a 180 gr .308 will get you about 2650+ ish, while you can push an ‘06 close to 2800 fps.
2) If you should opt for 200 gr bullets, the ‘06 has close to a 200 fps advantage.
3) I have more experience with the ‘06 and more confidence in it.

I’ve never noticed an accuracy difference between them, out to 600 yards.

I’ve never noticed a difference in recoil when fired from rifles of the same weight. However on paper the 30-06 should be traveling 150 to 200 ft./s faster , so it “should” have about 7% more recoil.

I say get whichever one you want. They’re both just fine for all of the same hunting applications.

You can get 180 grain bullets for the 308, and that’s heavy enough for me; I don’t think I’d want 200 or 220 grain anyway even in a .30-06.

@Tra3
I dont hunt long range.
My longest shot in hunting, was not reaching 250 meters.
So, to answer your question, for me, long range is end of my point blank range.
For 30 06, this is zeroing plus 6 cm at 100 meters, zero at 200 meters, PBR would be up to 240 meters or a bit less. I dont cross this line.

For target shooting, my local range can set up paper targets up to 600 m, and i can set up a gong at 750 m. There i shoot my 308 win.
At 300 meters i am competitive at match, at 600 meters, groups start widening on paper and mirage gets difficult. Judging by that, at 600 i would nevet try to shoot at animal with such calibers.

Then, there is a matter of energy at such distances, etc... And then, consideration of other calibers for longer distance hunting, but this is not a topic of this thread.

First post is an epic pot stirring troll! I love it!

.30-06 because .308 is just lesser.

First post is an epic pot stirring troll! I love it!
OP - New member.
Not involved in his own thread.
One post only.
Good chance he is troll. Red flag raised!

Beatrizdbrown, what do you consider long range?

This is the right question.

This becomes a question of engineering economics - what are you willing to trade to get "flatter" shooting? And is "flatter" better? Many would answer yes, of course. All else being equal, flatter would be better. But all else is not equal.

Except our new friend Beatrizdbrown is not active on his own, one and only thread and post.

Depends on bullet weight.
150 gr = .30/06 +60 fps
180 gr = .30/06 +200 fps.

If you are going to shoot 500 lb + animals the .30/06 is the way to go.

For a 200 lb animal the minimal gain in velocity of the .30/06 isn't usually worth the drawbacks..

This becomes a question of engineering economics - what are you willing to trade to get "flatter" shooting? And is "flatter" better? Many would answer yes, of course. All else being equal, flatter would be better. But all else is not equal.

With modern range finders the real issue is wind drift. At 400 yards with wind gusting between 15-25 mph and swinging between 90-120 degrees exactly when you trigger the shot can mean the difference between a perfect strike and a total miss on a Wyoming Pronghorn or a South African Springbok.

The faster the bullet and the better the BC the less difference in wind drift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeldaS5579

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?