What Have You Killed with the 7x57

Took a JC Higgins and converted it to 7x57. Shoots very well for me and has become a good friend. It favors the 154g Hornadys. I keep trying but have not killed game with it yet. To me the 7x57 and the 6.5x55 are two of the best deer rounds there are.

This is my first post to this board. I am grateful to be a member of this board. I spend most of my time on Northwest Firearms. Be well.

Took a JC Higgins and converted it to 7x57. Shoots very well for me and has become a good friend. It favors the 154g Hornadys. I keep trying but have not killed game with it yet. To me the 7x57 and the 6.5x55 are two of the best deer rounds there are.

This is my first post to this board. I am grateful to be a member of this board. I spend most of my time on Northwest Firearms. Be well.
Welcome, lots of 7X57 (.275 Rigby) lovers here!

You have chosen Well grasshopper ;)

Man finally have some free times on my hand but I'm not complaining business is good at the moment.

20240516-165545.jpg

1st Kudu cow Thursday afternoon bullet entered on shoulder opposite and exited as per photo just behind the shoulder. She went 40 meters range was 120 meters.
Did not get time for poper photo session as we spotted two young impala rams and went after them and by the time they busted us it was too dark.

Next morning not even 10 minutes into our walk we bumped into another kudu cow 100 meters bullet went in behind the shoulder and exited on shoulder she managed 30 meters.

IMG-20240521-WA0018.jpg

2 hours later we bump into a herd of eland and tracker at first thought it was two bulls standing but at closer look they were both mature cows and one gave me a shot at 80 meters she jumped nicley at the shot and managed 30 meters. We waited 5 minutes before taking the tracks giving her time to pass.

20240517-092335.jpg

Was a dificult shot as her frontside was quartering but back half was broadside bullet eneterd infront of right leg and bullet ended on opposite shoulder just under skin.

20240517-090902.jpg

Will post some more details on bullet recovery thread.

Afternoon we took a stroll along the Limpopo for waterbuck or impala and bumped into two rams that were fighting. My friend who came along took the younger ram and after the shot the other ram came back and gave me a chance. I was not really after a trophy impala but could not resist this prime impala on the banks of the Limpopo river.

20240517-165100.jpg

Classic picture on the left my ram measuring in at 24 1/4" and the younger one on the right shot with 6.5x55 and 160gr interlock bullets two classics and a classic photo opportunity.

I think my 7x57 has passed its tests and understands what I expect from it.
Really fell in love with this calibre now.

Last edited by a moderator:
About an hour ago, I shot a young Kudu bull suffering from Rabies in the forehead with my MS 7x57.
It's very sad to see them in such poor condition.

About an hour ago, I shot a young Kudu bull suffering from Rabies in the forehead with my MS 7x57.
It's very sad to see them in such poor condition.
Is Nam having another rabies outbreak at the moment?
Between my late uncle and a few friends… everything from Dik Dik to Eland.
Point blank to 450m.
In my humble opinion, the 7x57 and 30-06 are the best plains game cartridges ever.

Everything short of Elephant, Lion, and Alaskan bear, and probably would have done that if the opportunity presented itself. Just a good caliber handloaded properly, it or the 30-06 still fascinate me.

Over the years I have seen lots of new calibers come to the table. Some of them have truly provided an improvement to the hunting community and some not. The 7mm Mauser was and is a wonderful caliber resulting from a military birth, like many developments of its time. I have owned numerous rifles in 7x57. The first was a Ruger #1 and has killed many Whitetail in the Louisiana swamps. Number 2 was a Remington Classic and was a gift to me by my wife. This rife accounted for in excess 500 alligators as I was one of the first to have a commercial license to legally hunt them. The same rifle traveled to Colorado and killed mule deer, elk along with deer and hogs back in Louisiana. Rifle has been passed on to my son who is still using it. The third is a Win. Featherweight and has been to Africa on 2 occasions. There I and others used it for most Plains game including Eland with 175gr. hand loads. Most of the deer and gators were taken with 140’s while 160’s were used on the elk. Have had others over the years but their use is not particularly noteworthy. Have plans to build one on a Mauser action and stamp it 275 Rigby, mostly for nostalgic reasons. For all who have a 7x57, enjoy them as I have and for those who don’t; think about getting one.

Went Impala hunting with my 7x57 - Brno Mod 22. Got a few good ones, but this one was the best. 27 3/8" and 26 7/8".View attachment 617647
Have the exact same Brno 1947/8 model......it is going hunting again on Monday next week....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KandyWaldo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.