What do you think of the new Rigby Shikari?

I'd happily buy one in .600 Nitro Express. I sadly concede that they are rather costly (for a boxlock), but the finer things in life usually are.

Just curious, but how many English gun makers still build boxlock double rifles anymore ? Aside from John Rigby & Co., I can only think of Westley Richards (who only offer them in .470, .500 & .577 Nitro Express).
Charles Lancaster do. I’ve got a 470 on order with them at present.

The Shikari is a smart move by Rigby. Priced at the market above a nice Heym or Chapuis double ($15,000 to $25,000) but below the $125,000+ for a Rigby rising bite or a Holland & Holland, or Westley Richards, etc.

Agreed, they’re hitting a gap in the market. Marc seems pretty gifted at identifying them. The highland stalker at the original price is a great example, probably less so at the new pricing.

They are fine rifles, but Rigby would not even acknowledge my presence at their DSC booth (both years I went). They must know I am poor haha. If I should ever strike it rich, I will stick with Heym and Parkwest. They were very happy to chat with me, even though I was not a buyer.

Sorry that happened to you CM… I’m hoping that was a freak coincidence that they missed you twice…

I have to say I found everyone at Rigby to be super friendly and approachable.. and had lengthy enough conversations with them to the point that I recall each of their names (Tony, Maria, Gary, and Marc were all people I chatted with), despite every one of them knowing I was not in any way a buyer…

They are fine rifles, but Rigby would not even acknowledge my presence at their DSC booth (both years I went). They must know I am poor haha. If I should ever strike it rich, I will stick with Heym and Parkwest. They were very happy to chat with me,

Can she cook?
You’d better believe it .

Didn’t Francis Macomber’s wife buy him a new rifle and increase his life insurance before they went after lion?
Just kidding of course, glad you found an exciting rifle and a wife that is a whole level above it!

I am not finding the Shikar page. Also it is not letting me build a gun Because there is no way to advance the page.
From what I can see it would be worth a look at SCi.

I am not finding the Shikar page. Also it is not letting me build a gun Because there is no way to advance the page.
Absolutely. I handled it at DSC. It is an unapologetic working rifle built to last a couple of lifetimes of use. The balance on the one they are showing is absolute perfection and fit me very well.

Absolutely. I handled it at DSC. It is an unapologetic working rifle built to last a couple of lifetimes of use. The balance on the one they are showing is absolute perfection and fit me very well.
Can someone send a link?

Attachments

Didn’t Francis Macomber’s wife buy him a new rifle and increase his life insurance before they went after lion?
Just kidding of course, glad you found an exciting rifle and a wife that is a whole level above it!
Firebird you are very perceptive . And the worry is my wife shoots a Mannlicher Schoenaeur very well - just like Mrs Macomber .

I didn’t see Rigby on the vendor list for SCI. Are they sharing Blaser’s booth?

Go to the menu bar at the top, and then to rifles.

Looks like a great value to me, especially considering that there is over a 90,000 pound difference in base price of the Shikari and the Rising Bite while still getting a London Best DR
True, but a Heym is way less and ticks all the same boxes.

True, but a Heym is way less and ticks all the same boxes.
Functionally I’m sure that’s true. The one it certainly doesn’t check is London Best. A side by side comparison of manufacturing processes and pricing on similarly appointed rifles would be interesting

Great googly moogly that’s a beautiful rifle! I usually don’t care for bold relief engraving, but in this case I’ll make an exception. I think they have another winner on their hands.

Functionally I’m sure that’s true. The one it certainly doesn’t check is London Best. A side by side comparison of manufacturing processes and pricing on similarly appointed rifles would be interesting
That is true, but neither is the Shikari London Best. The Rigby workshop is tiny, I am sure that these doubles will be built in a factory somewhere else, I think I read that they said as much. And if the order numbers they talk about are to be fulfilled in the anticipated time I am certain that CNC will be heavily employed. Which is pretty much what Heym do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodney denis ncube

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe