What do you like about where you live?

West Coast of MICHIGAN is hard to beat for climate (except for the 3 months in the heart of winter), lots of fishing, hunting up north if you know where to go, great mountain biking, and for the most part tolerable people. This is probably where I'll end up due to the wife's kids all being located here......but I'm not ruling out a 2nd place back home in NW Iowa, I have access to thousands of acres of hunting back there, and its where I'd like to spend the falls and early winter. I have to work my arse off for another 5 years minimum, then I guess I'll figure it out.

If I could just choose, I'd say one of the Dakotas, Wyoming, MT, or Idaho.

Despite the relatively new political situation, parts of Colorado are hard to beat. I’m in Livermore, about 20 minutes NW of Fort Collins and 40 minutes south of Laramie. Fort Collins is a clean small city and has everything you might need from a city and college town and the Denver airport is 80 minutes away. There are flights to Laramie and Fort Collins as well from Denver if you don’t mind an extra flight and layover in Denver. We usually just drive to Denver when we fly.

State income tax is a fixed 4.6% and property taxes are lower than most states.

There’s fantastic fishing in the North Park area 90 minutes away and average fishing much closer. Within minutes you can see and hunt deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, mountain lions and bighorn sheep if you draw a license. Within a couple hours you can see and hunt mountain goats. You can hunt deer on the Eastern Plains if you develop a relationship with a rancher or hunt deer on public lands in the foothills and mountains. Wyoming is close and there’s good fishing and hunting within one to three hours of me in WY.

Weather around Fort Collins is moderate with fairly easy winters and the snow that does fall melts pretty fast due to mostly sunny weather. We don’t get nearly as much snow here on the eastern side of the Continental Divide as the western side of the CD and that’s why most ski resorts are west of the CD. We can get a couple weeks of very cold weather each winter and a couple weeks of very hot weather in the summer but it’s usually much more comfortable weather. Laramie and Cheyenne are quite windy, especially in the spring, so I wouldn’t want to live any farther north than Livermore because every mile further north gets more windy.

I’ve sold a few 35 acre parcels of my land but probably won’t sell any more. My neighbor has 40 acres for sale for $400k that adjoins Hwy 287. It’s a nice piece with good grass and a few good building sites for a house and barn/shop. There’s an electric power line to tap into for power. You would have to drill a well for water. We would welcome a conservative voter for neighbors.
All good points - some I missed. I guess I went with the "things I dislike" angle!

One thing I fear, and we will see if I'm right over the next few years, is that many of our hunting opportunities will be eliminated through the ballot box.
That's one of the byproducts of Leftist emigration to formerly conservative states.

West Coast of MICHIGAN is hard to beat for climate (except for the 3 months in the heart of winter), lots of fishing, hunting up north if you know where to go, great mountain biking, and for the most part tolerable people. This is probably where I'll end up due to the wife's kids all being located here......but I'm not ruling out a 2nd place back home in NW Iowa, I have access to thousands of acres of hunting back there, and its where I'd like to spend the falls and early winter. I have to work my arse off for another 5 years minimum, then I guess I'll figure it out.

If I could just choose, I'd say one of the Dakotas, Wyoming, MT, or Idaho.

One of my good friends is from the UP Michigan. Near Marquette. He has a cabin on Lake Michigamme and has been trying to get me to visit for years. I’ll try to go out there next year to check it out. Looks beautiful at the right time of year.

Montana and Wyoming are great. I’ve got a friend in N. Dakota who has a cattle ranch in Rhame. It’s a nice place that’s set up well for hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
only1mb

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on bobdahunter84's profile.