What do y’all think about the new polymer cased ammo? Good for hunting? Military?

Lead

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
IMG_0484.JPG

Here is a picture of all the basic ammo in their polymer cases.

(Pictures cited from TrueVelocity, tvammo.com)

The reason behind the polymer cases is weight savings (perhaps cost savings too, brass is getting more expensive). However neither applies to a hunter. A hunter will at best be carrying 20 rounds, whether that be plastic or brass, will make no big difference. I'd rather have the brass, it makes for a nicer souvenir than a piece of white plastic.

Last edited:

For a military round it may go over quite well.

But for a game hunter I don't see it, and then there are the reloaders who get multiple loads out of a single brass case who will never accept it.

Years ago, .223/5.56 was made with a metal base and polymer body. It was a commercial flop.

The reason behind the polymer cases is weight savings (perhaps cost savings too, copper is getting more expensive). However neither applies to a hunter. A hunter will at best be carrying 20 rounds, whether that be plastic or copper, will make no big difference. I'd rather have the copper, it makes for a nicer souvenir than a piece of white plastic.
I agree with you 100%. It would not surprise me if in the near future, the military start using polymer cases ammo to save money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BLMAnnabel

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!