What do I buy?

Willem le Clus

Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
I live in Namibia. Shoot a 25-06 for the plains and 375 Ruger for the bush. Sold a 6.5 Creed as it just did not fit. Out to 300m the 25 wins hands down, my limit when hunting. We are allowed 4 hunting rifles of different calibers here. The other rifle is on old Steyer (1904) in 7x57 - my son's rifle. Africa model. Thing is, there is an open spot now - keeps me awake. As a lot of farms require suppressors now, I am looking for a carry rifle with suppressor - 8 x68 0r 9.3 x 62. What do you suggest? Had a 308 and 30-06 in the past which is perfect. But ..........

9.3 X 62 or .338 Win Mag.
Personally, being in the states, I’m a fan of the .338WM. Or you could try a .416 on for size.

I live in Namibia. Shoot a 25-06 for the plains and 375 Ruger for the bush. Sold a 6.5 Creed as it just did not fit. Out to 300m the 25 wins hands down, my limit when hunting. We are allowed 4 hunting rifles of different calibers here. The other rifle is on old Steyer (1904) in 7x57 - my son's rifle. Africa model. Thing is, there is an open spot now - keeps me awake. As a lot of farms require suppressors now, I am looking for a carry rifle with suppressor - 8 x68 0r 9.3 x 62. What do you suggest? Had a 308 and 30-06 in the past which is perfect. But ..........
I would go for previous comments and recommendations .338 instead of 8x68 S.
9.3x62 is on top of my favourite calibers up to 200m.

You have your .25/06 for open country, on small to mid size game. The .375 for larger PG and DG. If the areas you hunt are brushy, I’d add a 9.3x62. If more open, a .300 mag or .338 Win mag.

If you want to put a suppressor on it, I would stay at .30 caliber or smaller just because the can gets so big and heavy over that. So why not go back to the venerable 30-06? Or a 308 if you wish but the 30-06 is so much more flexible and so close to a magnum.

As a lot of farms require suppressors now, I am looking for a carry rifle with suppressor - 8 x68 0r 9.3 x 62. What do you suggest?
Unless you have specific rifle 8x68 on offer, this caliber will be hard to find in a modern factory rifle.
Ammunition is scarse, unless you reload. Norma, RWS and Geco. Not sure which other factory produces this ammo.

I would go for 300 win mag, or 338 win mag.

Another thought, trying to fit local regulations:
Can you have one rifle, with multiple barrels without limit? In that case take blaser R8. Then keep buying barrels as the need arise.

If I am to choose 4 gun battery for me I would go like this:

Double rifle, in caliber 40+
375 H&H bolt action
300 win mag, bolt action
12 GA, over under shotgun.

+1 on the .338WM

I’d go with a 300WM, 300H&H, or 30/06 to bride the gap between your 25-06 & 375Ruger. Ammo is easy to find and reloading gives you lots of options. The 9.3 is nice to have but it’s very similar to your Ruger so one will become a safe queen.

I would get a 8x68S without one second of hesitation...

Of course, Americans will favor the .338 Win, probably because they know it better, and that is OK, but the 8x68S (S for August Schüler), is a mighty round. Its American equivalent would have been the 8 Rem Mag, if the caliber had taken off, which it never really did, and it is a lasting shame...

There are three good rational reasons to go for the 8x68S, Willem le Clus...

Filling the gap...

You already have a .25, and a good one at that, with the .25-06. With bullets from 5.5 g (85 gr) to 7.8 g (120 gr), this takes care of all small and medium PG out to as far as you care to shoot. I admire and share the 300 m self-imposed limitation. This is hunting after all, not sniping or target shooting at live animals...

You also have a .375. OK, I would prefer the H&H, for ammo availability, but the Ruger works. With bullets from 16.2 g (250 g) to 22.6 g (350 gr) This takes care of the DG.

Eliminating the 7x57 from the discussion - it is your son's rifle - what you miss is a heavy PG rifle (e.g. Zebra, Hartebeest, Kudu, etc.).

The middle of the caliber gap between .25 and .375 would be .312. The 8 mm (.323) is closer than the .338, and, frankly, the 9.3 (.366) is so close to the .375 that it is difficult to argue that it falls in a different category. After all, it is not by chance that the 9.3x62 - and even more, the less distributed 9.3x64 - was to German Africa, what the .375 H&H was to British Africa. Another option would be a .300.

The bullet weight gap ranges between 7.8 g (120 gr) and 16.2 g (250 g). The 8x68S fills this gap perfectly from 9 g (139 gr) to 16.2 g (250 gr). Conversely, the .338 only addresses a small portion of the gap at the top end, from 13 g (200 gr) to 16.2 g (250 gr), and it is not far from duplicative of the .375. And again, the 9.3, ranging from 11.9 g (183 gr) to 19 g (293 gr) is so close to the .375 that it is even more duplicative, while not quite matching the .375 ballistics. There too, a .300 would work, with bullets from 8.4 g (130 gr) to 14.2 g (220 gr).

Versatility...

The 8x68S is a lot more versatile, and in a pinch can fulfill with the right bullets both the .25 and the .375 roles. If you only have one suppressed rifle, you will never be outgunned with it, neither in long range on small and medium PG, nor in killing power on heavy PG. The .338 nudges the answer, but it is really too much gun for small and medium PG and its trajectory is arcing compared to that of the 8x68S. As to the 9.3x62, it is anything but a PG rifle, and its trajectory is a true handicap out to 300 m. And of course, a .300 would also be a great solution.

Admittedly 8x68S commercial loads fall slightly short of the Namibia minimum energy requirement for DG (5,400 Joule), with the RWS 13 g (200 gr) developing "only" 5,200 J, and I do not know how strict or flexible the enforcement of the limit is, but reloading with heavier bullets (e.g. North Fork 220 gr, Woodleigh 250 gr) will get you to the legal minimum. In any case, whether at 5,200 or 5,400 J, I personally would feel completely OK using a 8x68S on Buffalo or Lion, and I have zero doubt that a solid will punch through an elephant skull from any angle.

So, should you ever need it, the 8x68S will do it all, better than the .338 Win, and better than a .300 that could not address the DG end of the spectrum.

Availability...

As long as Namibia is Namibia, there will be metric calibers ammo, and the 8x68S has been here to stay since the 1930's, and will continue to be loaded as long as Germans hunt. It is truly a GREAT caliber.

Parting thought...

In a perfect metric world, an ideal trio would be 6.5x68S, 8x68S, 9.3x64. I once could have bought a Mauser 66 with these 3 barrels. I could not afford it then, but to this day regret it..........................

And you could complete the 4 rifle battery with a 12.7x70 Schuler (dubbed .500 Jeffery by Perfid Albion) and be ready for anything :)

Last edited:
8x68s , 8mm Remington mag , 35whelen, 358 Norma mag
I like the idea of obscure rounds with some heat/ velocity
Though it is nice to just be able to buy some ammunition at will

9.3x62 of the choices you offer. Though, I am not familiar with the 8 mm ammo and component availability in Namibia.

I am with those who would suggest a handy rifle with a 20 or 22” barrel in 30/06 since you will be running it suppressed. For a handy, versatile carry gun hard to beat.

30-06 is abundantly available and capable; and if you reload, you could swap brass with your 25-06 in a pinch.

Sanity says get a .300 WM, and call it good. It’s fine to be a cartridge nerd in Dallas, but not so convenient in the more remote parts of the world where supply is a tenuous thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusannaLki

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]