What could you just not resist at DSC?

I couldn’t resist booking a 2025 leopard hunt with Immenhof Safaris In Namibia. Big cats, high success rate and an outfitter I know and trust. I’ve hunted with Werner twice previously. Now the wait.

(1) Went to the Leica Booth, they did not have to toy I was interested in at the show.
(2) Wife wanted to buy me a Phone Skope, but too concerned the case would not fit my next iPhone so passed on that. (The one that attached to a rifle scope was interesting, but will not handle the force from a Magnum Action).
(3) Busy spreadsheeting all the the Tanzania outfitters now and starting looking for reviews.

Last edited:
I only have the 30mm on hunting rifles...several of them. Not interested in the 34's at all. So all of our 30mm's just went up in value.

The 34mm is what I was referring to, the eye piece is extremely large. It would be okay on a R8 or any straight pull design. I say that, I bet it would make getting to the safey a little more cumbersome.

Inline,
“Talked to the sale rep about the Z8i 1-8+ the eye piece is extremely large”

So is it your impression his response was, he heard that request to reduce the bulk, and they are working on it. Or that they were not changing the size.

They should steal Leupolds design. The electronics are too large and cumbersome.

Our conversation went, he could see the dropping back down to 30mm tube in the future due to clearance issues with bolt handles.

The EE will probably never come back.

I did purchase a set of custom earplugs. I have never tried them before. It allows you to ear, when the pressure wave hits it closes. I'm guessing that it is close to the same technology that surefire uses? Either way, I'm going to try them and if they work and feel like I want them to. I will upgrade to the electronic version.

Ever since my grade school days of tagging along with my dad to the gun shows, I've had a hankering for a Mannlicher-Schonauer (sp?), and the Champlin table had a nice all original 1957 specimen in 30-06 with the full length stock. I don't know if $1900 is a good price on one, but i was pretty tempted. That being said, I guess my desire has waned a bit over the years, because I ultimately decided I'd rather use the funds towards something else.
That is not an unreasonable price...

That is not an unreasonable price...
Agreed. For me it was just a matter of choosing where to put funds. That, and I've already got a handful of 30-06's; as well as other rifles with full-length stocks, so it has helped satisfy the urge. :)

Ever since my grade school days of tagging along with my dad to the gun shows, I've had a hankering for a Mannlicher-Schonauer (sp?), and the Champlin table had a nice all original 1957 specimen in 30-06 with the full length stock. I don't know if $1900 is a good price on one, but i was pretty tempted. That being said, I guess my desire has waned a bit over the years, because I ultimately decided I'd rather use the funds towards something else.

You mean like 3 nice dinners in Dallas with the missus during DCS? Lordie, I don’t recall when I’ve spent that much on food and drink for 2

I bought an Arno Bernard knife as well along with a pair of Axil Xcor Bluetooth ear plugs. At half price figured I would give the ear plugs a try to see how I like them for hunting. I also ordered a GAIM virtual reality hunting package to practice driven shooting. I saw them using these on the Wild Boar Fever Spain show and wanted to try it out for practice and building muscle memory to become a better shooter. I spoke with a few European outfits about doing a driven boar shoot. I was focused on selecting outfitters to do chamois in Spain, Italy and Austria along with boar either spot and stalk or driven

You mean like 3 nice dinners in Dallas with the missus during DCS? Lordie, I don’t recall when I’ve spent that much on food and drink for 2
Funny you say that. Going out has gotten so expensive that nowadays I think about it in terms of how many guns or how much ammo I could have bought. :)

Dave I have been looking at Bailey's work from a distance for awhile. I have a couple of double rifles built by Aaron Little who worked with Bailey before starting his own shop. Both the single and the double rising block rifles speak to me. I stood there for quite awhile looking at it while Bailey and Mark Ouellette traded military memories. I think Mark decided if he was going to get a photo of it he would have to include me as I wasn't putting it back! I will think seriously on a project with Bailey.
Those rifles speak to me for sure. Since you have looked into these some can you please share a ballpark budget for a double from him? Just curious if these are within my reach or not. A "standard" type one without all the frills. Even just a range so I can mentally start budgeting something. Much appreciated. Cheers

I would love to see Heym's Display, just once in a lifetime. There are some really great distributors out there. Professional, respectful, etc,

I couldn’t resist booking a 2025 leopard hunt with Immenhof Safaris In Namibia. Big cats, high success rate and an outfitter I know and trust. I’ve hunted with Werner twice previously. Now the wait.
I've hunted with Werner as well with great success. Good Luck on your hunt!

HH

I spoke to some Namibian outfitters about showing up on short notice for 3-4 days since I will be in Angola for business anyway and want to leverage my business trips whenever possible. Talked through many issues (rental rifles, gear, drive time, etc) and every single one basically told me "Just call me, we will fit you in, this is not a problem". Kinda scary ($) how easy it can be.

I also spoke to Worldwide Trophy Adventures guy about booking hunts in Europe (as add ons to business trips) and same thing, very possible, just one phone call away. As much notice as possible is appreciated but they can make it work. I see Croatia and Sweden in my future for 2024.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckenzieSh

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.