What broadheads is everyone bringing to Africa this year?

joker2400

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA
I’m heading over 8/4 for a hunt that should be focused on the tiny ten, but who knows what I will get talked into.

That said I have some heads I didn’t get to shoot my last trip (it would have made me one and done if it was my first) that I’m excited to try this year as well as some tried and true heads.

New:
Vector VBS
Slicktrick SS3
Beast
Sevr

Tried:
SlickTrick Magnum
G5 Megameat
Iron Will

What are you all going to be shooting?

Me, my wife and daughter leave on July 4th. My daughter and I will be hunting and plan on taking Iron Wills standard solids and wides, Grim Reaper Hades Pro 4 blades, QAD exodus, Slick Trick Mags, Magnus Black Hornets and Stingers, and maybe some more. We have used all of these on deer and pigs here and hopefully will have she same great results in Africa.

If you think there is a chance you’d shoot a baboon I’d add an expandable of some sort to your quiver. They are the toughest animal I have hunted and pretty much the sole reason for the megameat

You could get away with anything for the tiny 10. But beware, this year the broadheads marketed have totally changed so you CANNOT possibly use what they told you was effective last year. You MUST buy what they say. ;) LOL (I both saw it on TV and read it on the Internet!) For the bigger stuff 160 gr heads (FIXED-NO mechanicals) and heavy ACH shafts are recommended, but it doesn't sound like that's going to be necessary on your (assumed RSA) trip. Enjoy! I adore archery, but in Africa, I adore 160 gr .264 Woodleighs, 250 gr. .338 Nosler partitions, 350 gr .375 Woodleighs (Solids for tiny) and .416 Swift (A-Frames) and Barnes Banded Solids. You will fast find that they're not whitetail deer, but you'll be proud that designs much closer to dear old (PA/MI/FL) Fred's razorhead get the job done better on the Dark Continent. ;) I have all of his old B&W videos of hunting the world!

Last edited:
You could get away with anything for the tiny 10. But beware, this year the broadheads marketed have totally changed so you CANNOT possibly use what they told you was effective last year. You MUST buy what they say. ;) LOL (I both saw it on TV and read it on the Internet!) For the bigger stuff 160 gr heads (FIXED-NO mechanicals) and heavy ACH shafts are recommended, but it doesn't sound like that's going to be necessary on your (assumed RSA) trip. Enjoy! I adore archery, but in Africa, I adore 160 gr .264 Woodleighs, 250 gr. .338 Nosler partitions, 350 gr .375 Woodleighs (Solids for tiny) and .416 Swift (A-Frames) and Barnes Banded Solids.
Tooth of the Arrow just dropped a 3 blade head. I hear it’s far superior to all other 3 blade heads on the market

RSA with a specialized archery outfitter. Sort of open to shooting anything. Which is why my entire buffalo setup is making the trip as well. Gotta be ready to take what the bush gives me‍

Tooth of the Arrow just dropped a 3 blade head. I hear it’s far superior to all other 3 blade heads on the market

RSA with a specialized archery outfitter. Sort of open to shooting anything. Which is why my entire buffalo setup is making the trip as well. Gotta be ready to take what the bush gives me‍
3-blades are among the best (not recommended on DG as the penetration is reduced,) but NAP's thunderheads and many more work wonders on deer-elk-bear (soft stuff.) African antelope are built much tougher to reduce the effects of predator attacks. There was a great 3-blade in the 80s-90s that was welded to a tube that spun freely around a solid threaded/pointed shaft. Satellite? Kolpin? WASP? It's been too long...lol That was a great design, as upon impact the arrow shaft lost none of its penetrating energy as it moved independent of the broadhead. Tiny 10 to buffalo is like Biden to Trump. I'd not use the 3 blade on buff. Compound or Crossgun?

Buffalo: 2 blade 160 gr, 750 gr shaft. Also spin those inserts vertically. Nothing less/nothing more. My son has hunted the bigger stuff extensively and this is what works (not what some marketer tells you.) GL enjoy! Crossguns and too lightweight shafts/bows result in too little energy for quick kills and safety (physcially akin to shooting ping pong balls as arrows). Many countries have minimum rules regarding ballistic weight and velocity with respect to archery-and you must pack the gear for that buff! They'll hand you their client 375 if insufficient.

Compound. I took a buffalo last year. 600 grain shaft, 250 grain iron will single bevel. FOC and all that. But I am not opposed to taking a second one.

Going after jumbo in Bots next year so I need to get my archery fix in this year

Compound. I took a buffalo last year. 600 grain shaft, 250 grain iron will single bevel. FOC and all that. But I am not opposed to taking a second one.

Going after jumbo in Bots next year so I need to get my archery fix in this year
Fred also bagged an elephant (smaller alum. shaft shoved inside larger + the 2 blade only 140 fixed razorhead and a 100# recurve). but yeah an 850 gr archery projectile is optimum for DG. And to make it even cooler, in the fmr. British East Africa (Mozambique) with famed ivory hunter turned PH Wally Johnson! :) Great Stuff!!! Same equipment would be required for the farm gals near me...

I’ve been super impressed with the Crimson Talon Cleaver 200gr broad head. I took a large bull blue wildebeest with one last year. They perform flawlessly in my rig… shoot super straight and hit super hard…

Doesn’t hurt that they are the most affordable single bevel 2 blade broad head I know of.. and that the company is located just outside the DFW metroplex…

Sadly the owner passed away recently… it appears the company is still running though… hopefully they stay in business for years to come…

Seeing this thread reminded me I need to order another dozen or so of those broad heads…

Zambia in September for hippo, croc & buff + PG

Sirius Gemini 300 VPA 3 blade 150gr, 75gr HIT @ 494gr. I decided to try the Gemini in lieu of GT Airstrikes)

Sirius Apollo 200 Cutthroat 2 blade 250gr, 200gr half sleeve @ 834gr. I also decided to ditch the 75gr HIT behind the half sleeve this year (came out to 903gr).

Last edited:
Zambia in September for hippo, croc & buff + PG

Sirius Gemini 300 VPA 3 blade 150gr, 75gr HIT @ 494gr. I decided to try the Gemini in lieu of GT Airstrikes)

Sirius Apollo 200 Cutthroat 2 blade 250gr, 200gr half sleeve @ 834gr. I also decided to ditch the 75gr HIT behind the half sleeve this year (came out to 903gr).
I’m looking forward to that report.

I’ve been super impressed with the Crimson Talon Cleaver 200gr broad head. I took a large bull blue wildebeest with one last year. They perform flawlessly in my rig… shoot super straight and hit super hard…

Doesn’t hurt that they are the most affordable single bevel 2 blade broad head I know of.. and that the company is located just outside the DFW metroplex…

Sadly the owner passed away recently… it appears the company is still running though… hopefully they stay in business for years to come…

Seeing this thread reminded me I need to order another dozen or so of those broad heads…

IIRC @Bowhuntr64 mentioned on his channel that the son is going to continue the business.

I have been tempted to add the Croc to my quiver based on price and reputation

IIRC @Bowhuntr64 mentioned on his channel that the son is going to continue the business.

I have been tempted to add the Croc to my quiver based on price and reputation

Yep, his son is carrying on the business. David was on chemo for quite a while, and knew he was going to pass. So he trained his adult son Jesse over that time period. Only time will tell what happens in the days ahead, but Jesse is at the helm now and plans to continue on.

Well chaps I am wheels up on Friday heading to Khomas in Namibia. I am taking Crimson Talon Cleavers and Croc,s also Magnus Stingers all 125 grain. this will be my first bow hunt and on the list are Impala, Red Hartebeest, Oryx, Wildebeest, Baboon and whatever else takes my fancy.
I have Easton FMJ arrows with Ethics inserts and collars. I am super excited.
Markcz

My wife and I used SEVR in March. She was shooting the 1.5 and I shot the 1.75 both in the 100 grain. They worked flowlessley every time. We have changed our set ups a little for next year for no good reason. Went with 125 grains for both. She will be shooting the 1.75 and I went the 2.0. Can't say enough good about the SEVR's. The largest animals we took were Zebra, Wildebeest and Kudu, just for reference.

3-blades are among the best (not recommended on DG as the penetration is reduced,) but NAP's thunderheads and many more work wonders on deer-elk-bear (soft stuff.) African antelope are built much tougher to reduce the effects of predator attacks. There was a great 3-blade in the 80s-90s that was welded to a tube that spun freely around a solid threaded/pointed shaft. Satellite? Kolpin? WASP? It's been too long...lol That was a great design, as upon impact the arrow shaft lost none of its penetrating energy as it moved independent of the broadhead. Tiny 10 to buffalo is like Biden to Trump. I'd not use the 3 blade on buff. Compound or Crossgun?

You are thinking of the Razorback broadheads. Wish they were still available!

My son used QAD Exodus full blades in April. Blesbok and Waterbuck down within feet of being hit. He was very happy with results
IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

We just returned 2 weeks ago. I used Iron Will 200 GR for a Buffalo, and Iron will 125's wide on everything else. The results were nothing less than outstanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqwwqw212

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!