What Animals

Neophyte

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Never been to Africa but planning a trip to South Africa in 2026 and a return trip in 2028.

The first trip is for PG. I’m really attracted to the spiral horn species so I want to concentrate on kudu, nyala, eland, and bushbuck with a zebra and maybe an impala or sable. I wouldn’t turn down a gemsbok or wildebeest either though.

So I’m thinking PG the first trip and cape buffalo the second trip. Thinking I’ll do euro mounts and maybe some hides. I figure I’ll do three trips before I retire then Africa is likely no more for me.

What other PG species should I consider? Cape Buffalo has always been the dream hunt for me. The spiral horns and Cape Buffalo, along with wildebeest and zebra are what I think of when I think of Africa.

I think the list you already have would make an exciting hunt for anyone. Some of the Tiny 10 like Steinbok, Duiker, etc. are unusual and very economical add ons to the species you already mentioned.

Look where the species you are after are endemic. Do some research and Plan accordingly.

How you hunt your list of species will be important.
Kudu, Eland and Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest in Namibia and Botswana
Nyala and Bushbuck in Kwazulu Natal and EC
Buffalo, choose a spot with the kind of hunting you want to do. There are Buffalo all over the place.
Sable, natural area Zambia, Moz, then you can look at large areas in RSA with CAE's.

If you expect all of these species on one property you will severely impact your type of hunt.

Enjoy your research.

Well, go ahead and plan, but leave yourself open to the whims of the veldt. Sometimes little happy accidents are a ton of fun.

Hartebeest are commonly encountered and very interesting and duiker are cool little trophies. Blesbok is interesting. I would consider both wildebeests.

All good advice so far and your list looks good (Kudu is a must). I would definitely take a Wildebeest. My son took a blesbok and we were pleasantly suprised at how fun it was to hunt, and a cool trophy. Cheap too. Hartebeest are in the same category for me.

Dont get me started on the tiny ten. That is a whole different fun addiction. You cant go wrong. Especially if you will go three times, you can get a ton of different animals if you want. cheers

Never been to Africa but planning a trip to South Africa in 2026 and a return trip in 2028.

The first trip is for PG. I’m really attracted to the spiral horn species so I want to concentrate on kudu, nyala, eland, and bushbuck with a zebra and maybe an impala or sable. I wouldn’t turn down a gemsbok or wildebeest either though.

So I’m thinking PG the first trip and cape buffalo the second trip. Thinking I’ll do euro mounts and maybe some hides. I figure I’ll do three trips before I retire then Africa is likely no more for me.

What other PG species should I consider? Cape Buffalo has always been the dream hunt for me. The spiral horns and Cape Buffalo, along with wildebeest and zebra are what I think of when I think of Africa.
Do you want to hunt the species that interest you in their native environment or on game ranch? That will determine a great deal about your choice of location. The latter can be done in the Hill Country of Texas. When I see a Lechwe on the wall, and the story begins "there I was in the Limpopo" then I go and find a drink.

Spend more time on this site and watching hunting vids and you'll easily start thinking of all of them as iconic animals of Africa and don't forget warthog.

You seem to have a good list going. Now is just to decide what size and location of property you wish to hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexandraL

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?