What about a .375 Wby?

In my view quite a few of Weatherby's first introduce rounds were pretty much all based off of the .300 HH. You can actually fire 300 HH in a 300 Weatherby and fire form the cases that way. Then the 257, 270, 7mm, and 340 Weatherby magnums were based off of the .300 Weatherby by necking up or down to the proper caliber. The 375 Weatherby is just a blown out 375 HH round. I don't have the specifications in front of me but I would imagine that the 375 Weatherby is very close to the 375 HH AI round.

Later Weatherby started to come out with their own case design to come up with the .378, and 460 Weatherby magnums and later the 30-378 and 338-378 Weatherby magnums. There are of course the smaller Weatherby rounds such as the 224 Weatherby, and the 240 Weatherby.

Just for those who may be interested: I hand load my .375 wby so that it will shoot .300 gr A-frame or a .300 gr woodLeigh solid with the same 1-6x24 leupold scope within one inch of each other. I can switch the scope to a 4.5-14x50 vx-3L leupold through the magic of Talley bases and detachable rings and shoot a 235 gr Barnes tsx. Pictured is some old .375 h&h 270 grain fired from the 1-6 power scope and a pleasant group just high at 100 yards. The .375 h&h is what I practice with to save The hand loads for another day. Love the accuracy of all the loads listed!
92598E7E-5E25-4D8F-BE88-E9D572C1E4F6.jpeg
16A594DB-FEC3-48F9-97C2-366C95EC1EFE.jpeg

Besides giving you a sacrosanct excuse to buy a new rifle (the First Commandment in any gun enthusiast's Bible), I can think of few reasons to own a .375 Weatherby and many not to. With a 300gr bullet pushed at about 2,700 f/s, you can zero it at 200 yards and it will only drop about 3" at 250. So we can say it gives you a 250-yard point-blank range. By comparison, a 300gr .375 H&H pushed at a normal 2,500 f/s and sighted the same way would drop about 5" at 250 yards. A 2" difference at what I consider long-ish hunting ranges for such caliber.

Ammunition cost and availability, faster throat erosion, greater recoil, and increased dependence on premium bullets would be points against. But then again, I've always been deaf to the siren's song of velocity, so I must say I've always given Mr. Weatherby and his creations the cold shoulder. Perhaps to my own detriment... but at the ranges at which I hunt (250 yards max) I've never missed a super-flat-shooting cartridge.

I think the 375 Weatherby shines as an all round rifle in Alaska where it can reach out for sheep and moose and still provide more than enough power for a brown bear should you be hunting them or if they are hunting you. It shoots flatter and hits harder than a 338 Win Mag and can still shoot 375 H&H ammo. With a 350g Woodleigh HD soft point at 2550 fps, it's approaching 416 Rem Mag power as well. I handload so I don't worry about ammo prices too much

Just for those who may be interested: I hand load my .375 wby so that it will shoot .300 gr A-frame or a .300 gr woodLeigh solid with the same 1-6x24 leupold scope within one inch of each other. I can switch the scope to a 4.5-14x50 vx-3L leupold through the magic of Talley bases and detachable rings and shoot a 235 gr Barnes tsx. Pictured is some old .375 h&h 270 grain fired from the 1-6 power scope and a pleasant group just high at 100 yards. The .375 h&h is what I practice with to save The hand loads for another day. Love the accuracy of all the loads listed! View attachment 403540View attachment 403541
What powder combo are you using for the 300 Aframe? I just bought a 375 wby for my upcoming cape buffalo hunt next April.

I enjoyed reading this thread because I just purchased a 375wby and can’t seem to find any load data on it. Was wanting to shoot the 300 gr A-frame or possible a 350grainer. What powders are you guys using in this caliber? I was gonna try the IMR 4451 suppose to be similar burn rate to h4350.

If you can't find any load data start with the 375 HH loads for the bullet you want and then work your way up.

Quite a few reloading manuals list loads for the 375 Weatherby mag. Both the ones from bullet manufactures along with the powder manufactures.

If you can't find any load data start with the 375 HH loads for the bullet you want and then work your way up.

Quite a few reloading manuals list loads for the 375 Weatherby mag. Both the ones from bullet manufactures along with the powder manufactures.
Hey thanks I’ll do that: I only found one manual that had it.

I enjoyed reading this thread because I just purchased a 375wby and can’t seem to find any load data on it. Was wanting to shoot the 300 gr A-frame or possible a 350grainer. What powders are you guys using in this caliber? I was gonna try the IMR 4451 suppose to be similar burn rate to h4350.

Hornady 10th Edition and Barnes #3 has a full section on load data. I used H4350 and chrono loads very close to the published data.

IMG_20210529_084230873_HDR[75359].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome thank you I appreciate it. I’m waiting on swift to get back to me on data for 300 A-Frame. Now I’m new to this whole dangerous game type hunting. So when working up a load are you guys doing it at 50 yards or 100 yards? I know the load work for this rifle is gonna way different then my long range guns. Am I looking for tight groups or velocity with mediocre grouping? Thanks in advance.

I'd go with 100 yards.

But as you know the accuracy of a load is just one thing. Pressure signs are another thing to look for when building a load.

Thanks for the tip. I’m gonna start working loads this next week. The PH told me they want the gun zeroed at 50 yards and no more than a 1-6 power scope.

I used Norma 204 powder-I do all load work up for 100 yards but I shoot them at 50 just so I know where the bullet will be-woodLeigh and Norma have modern load manuals that include load data for .375 wby specifically and you can buy a “weatherby magnum” load book from midway that includes all their large magnum caliber info in one cliff note style book. Can’t remember if vol. 1 or 2 has the info you seek and not at home to check right now-hope this helps
274AA6D3-0174-49EC-83AD-7802DA0C5155.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyX5472

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]