What’s your ideal Dangerous Game bolt gun?

Well, looks like you're ready to go. I too have Blasers and find them utterly reliable and accurate. I think they are among the most well engineered rifles on the market today. Are you taking any smaller caliber barrels along with you?
Good Hunting.

I have yet to shoot my first "dangerous game" animal but when I started to think about what rifle I wanted when the time came I decided that it had to be something I was comfortable with. I have been a bolt action fan for a long time and am very familiar with them so that made action choice easy. Then I had to decide on a caliber, I first bought a 9,3x62 and I still really like it but as my hunt plans started coming together I found out that Tanzania requires a .375 minimum for dangerous game. I decided that the .375 would make the most sense for me and I ended up buying a Whitworth Express in .375 H&H. I added a Leupold 2.5-8 VX3i in Leupold quick detach mounts and while practicing I always try to shoot a few rounds with the iron sights. For the last 2 years the .375 has been the rifle of choice when I head to the woods. I have used it to hunt deer and wild hogs, carried it on my woods walks and while checking game cameras, it is becoming a very familiar rifle. I have fired in excess of 300 rounds in practice and load development with the majority fired from sticks and a few offhand for good measure. I have good loads worked up with 300 grain A-Frames and 300 grain CEB solids and it will accompany me to Tanzania in August for my first try at a Cape Buffalo. I have gained a lot of confidence in the rifle over the last 2 years so for me it is (for now anyway) the ideal DGR.

I wish great luck and fortune to both you and your rifle. Sounds like you have all covered. Looking forward to your posts after your return. Be careful, be safe at all times. The adventure begins when closing the door behind you leaving home.
Bob

I use a costume made CZ550 in .416 Rigby

IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thoroughly impressed with my CZ 550 American in .416 Rigby. Enough so that I'm going to get another in .375H&H. It just fits me well and is comfortable to shoot. Well as comfortable as a .416 Rigby can be anyway.

I’m have a Dakota Arms in 416 Rigby with a Leupold 1 x 6 scope that shoots fine but I’ve just never liked...should probably sell it but haven’t. I’m having AHR build me a 505 Gibbs with a Granite Mountain action and will be topping it off with a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 L. Will post photos whenever it gets finished.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .416 Ruger that I took my buffalo and seven head of PG with in Zim a few years ago. It's topped with 1.5-5X Leopold with heavy duplex. It handles great and is very accurate. I had a Sako .375 H&H along and only used it on three head of PG. Liked the Ruger. Sometime, I do plan on switching out the scope for something with an illuminated reticle of maybe 1-6X.

I’m have a Dakota Arms in 416 Rigby with a Leupold 1 x 6 scope that shoots fine but I’ve just never liked...should probably sell it but haven’t. I’m having AHR build me a 505 Gibbs with a Granite Mountain action and will be topping it off with a Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 L. Will post photos whenever it gets finished.

Have you put the Dakota online ?
Almost never see one below $6K, some go for a couple $K more. ( More $ for more "stuff")
Bob

Just curious - why would you scope a .505? If it is a vision thing - like my 65-year-old eyes - I think I would use a reflex or red dot sight of some sort on a .505. Even sighting 3-inches high at 100 meters will give you a point blank hold only to 150 or so. I have always thought of the Gibbs as very much an up close and personal caliber.

Last edited:
Just curious - why would you scope a .505? If it is a vision thing - like my 65-year-old eyes - I think I would use a reflex or red dot sight of some sort on a .505. Even sighting 3-inches high at 100 meters will give you a point blank hold only to 150 or so. I have always thought of the Gibbs as very much an up close and personal caliber.

Good point! One alternate to consider, I’ve been playing around with a 1-4x Steiner with an illuminated red dot. On 1x I doubt you could shoot any faster with a reflex sight and it gives you the added advantage of 4x for picking a hole through brush. It is really designed as a combat sight but I contacted Steiner to see if it could take the recoil of a Lott. They assured me that it can and that it is tested at much higher recoil levels. I think the model number is P4xi.

Good point! One alternate to consider, I’ve been playing around with a 1-4x Steiner with an illuminated red dot. On 1x I doubt you could shoot any faster with a reflex sight and it gives you the added advantage of 4x for picking a hole through brush. It is really designed as a combat sight but I contacted Steiner to see if it could take the recoil of a Lott. They assured me that it can and that it is tested at much higher recoil levels. I think the model number is P4xi.
I get it. Just don't see setting up what is a classic stopping caliber like it is a .375. If you want something bigger that can truly take advantage of a telescopic sight, then a .416 in one guise or the other would seem to make more sense. Then again, unless one is going to go brain an elephant, I don't see much purpose to the Gibbs as a client's rifle. Probably won't have an opportunity to back-up the PH. But that is my practical side creeping unasked into the discussion. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: WAB
I get it. Just don't see setting up what is a classic stopping caliber like it is a .375. If you want something bigger that can truly take advantage of a telescopic sight, then a .416 in one guise or the other would seem to make more sense. Then again, unless one is going to go brain an elephant, I don't see much purpose to the Gibbs as a client's rifle. Probably won't have an opportunity to back-up the PH. But that is my practical side creeping unasked into the discussion. ;)

With age comes wisdom, or at least that is the hope my wife clings to...

With age comes wisdom, or at least that is the hope my wife clings to...

Having killed whitetails, black bear, brown bear and elk I'm certain a scope would help counter low light situations.
BTW my vintage is 1954

BTW my vintage is 1954
Is that you or your firearm?
Either (or both) would be perfectly acceptable in my book.
But there is something to be said for at least acting like a 12 year old every now on then...at least when you take that big DG trophy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardLob

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.