What’s the latest on sticks?

I personally like the 4 Stable Sticks, I have the carbon fiber set. I can deploy them quickly, they are very light weight and easy to carry, and for me a much more stable platform to shoot from. Gina's preference is for the old tripod sticks that so many PH's in Africa swear by. We also own 2 sets of the Primus Trigger Sticks made famous by Jim Shockey, I like those to mount things on like a chronograph or spotting scope.

We have two pairs of Trigger Sticks because the old pair stick and don't slide very well.

The sticks my PH had were little more than three wooden dowels held together with nuts & bolts with a small leather patch to cushion the rifle against the hardware. They were wobbly at the hinge point and would likely scratch the finish on a rifle even with the leather. The other sticks he had were the non-working Primos Trigger sticks that I mentioned earlier.

I'm sure the wooden dowel sticks were adequate, but my wife and I were very happy that we brought the BOG-POD RLD-3's. Next trip we will be taking the Adrenaline sticks that collapse down to 60cm (less than 24") and weigh 1278 grams (2.8 lbs).

Anyone tried the bog pod death grip?
I used them on one hunt so not a big sample. I used them on gemsbok, blesbok and springbok.I was able to set my rifle in them while we went through the herds to find the right animal, they worked well especially on the gemsbok as we were looking at about 50 animals and all were fairly close in size and this was a free range herd and we were looking for only bulls.

Like to know if anyone out there with the Blaser Carbon Shooting Sticks 2.0 has a review of them. I think there are a few members who have them.

Like to include the total weight, fully collapsed length, fully extended length along with their opinion of how they like/dislike them.

After my experiences, these may be the only ones I'd consider purchasing.

Last edited:
Found this review of the Blaser Carbon Shooting Sticks 2.0

Found this review of the Blaser Carbon Shooting Sticks 2.0

They're similar to the Rudolph sticks we used at Nick Bowker's. The swivel forend attachment is a plus on the Blasers.

I just my my Blaser quad sticks a week ago. I haven’t hunted with them yet, but I’ve been practicing. The weight, quality, and sturdiness are fantastic, and the front swivel feature works as advertised. Complete quality, which is a plus, as they’re reasonably expensive.

What I've seen on most of the YT video review of quad sticks is that they are shooting calibers at or below .300, often time with a suppressor. This means they have little concern for the rifle forend loosing contact with the front rest on the sticks. So they can grip the forend of the rifle or simply hold the sticks. BTW - Holding just the sticks is NOT the proper technique, regardless of caliber.

If the added factor of DG caliber recoil is added, proper technique becomes much more important. This means holding the forend of the rifle and pulling it back into your shooting shoulder. This is the first video I've seen that addresses this concern and actually shows how wonky quad sticks can be under the recoil of a DG rifle.

I'm not sure about others, but I really don't want to deal with "maybe the sticks will do this" or "maybe the sticks will do that" when dealing with DG. Not sure how much practice it would take for me to KNOW that I can make a good follow up shot from the sticks if needed.

Anyone tried the bog pod death grip?
It's great for stationary hunting/shooting, such as from a blind or for target practice. Would not want to carry it around all day, and is slow to adjust.

What I've seen on most of the YT video review of quad sticks is that they are shooting calibers at or below .300, often time with a suppressor. This means they have little concern for the rifle forend loosing contact with the front rest on the sticks. So they can grip the forend of the rifle or simply hold the sticks. BTW - Holding just the sticks is NOT the proper technique, regardless of caliber.

If the added factor of DG caliber recoil is added, proper technique becomes much more important. This means holding the forend of the rifle and pulling it back into your shooting shoulder. This is the first video I've seen that addresses this concern and actually shows how wonky quad sticks can be under the recoil of a DG rifle.

I'm not sure about others, but I really don't want to deal with "maybe the sticks will do this" or "maybe the sticks will do that" when dealing with DG. Not sure how much practice it would take for me to KNOW that I can make a good follow up shot from the sticks if needed.
If you decide you like the advantages of a tripod before you learn to use quad sticks these are the conclusions you’ll come to. Quad sticks take a different style to shoot from than a tripod but you have to put effort in to learn it just like you have to put effort in to be accurate from a tripod. I’ve been shooting mainly 4 stable sticks since 2017. I’ve taken 68 big game animals off them during that time including 3 buffalo (I’ll guarantee count +/- 2). I can set sticks up faster than tripod in most circumstances because only 2 point of contact on ground. I also can reload and shoot again and pivot while on the sticks as I’ve done many times. The majority of my shooting lately is with 375. I do hold the sticks and always a sling to control the rifle. You’ll have a difficult time telling me that’s the improper way based on my results with it. I’ll watch your video, but I think you are looking for anything to support your opinion. Quad sticks require a different style to shoot from than a tripod. If you don’t make an effort to learn it or approach it with a tripod mentality you probably won’t see their advantages. If you like a tripod better that’s great but some of your statements are stretching the truth.

If you decide you like the advantages of a tripod before you learn to use quad sticks these are the conclusions you’ll come to. Quad sticks take a different style to shoot from than a tripod but you have to put effort in to learn it just like you have to put effort in to be accurate from a tripod. I’ve been shooting mainly 4 stable sticks since 2017. I’ve taken 68 big game animals off them during that time including 3 buffalo (I’ll guarantee count +/- 2). I can set sticks up faster than tripod in most circumstances because only 2 point of contact on ground. I also can reload and shoot again and pivot while on the sticks as I’ve done many times. The majority of my shooting lately is with 375. I do hold the sticks and always a sling to control the rifle. You’ll have a difficult time telling me that’s the improper way based on my results with it. I’ll watch your video, but I think you are looking for anything to support your opinion. Quad sticks require a different style to shoot from than a tripod. If you don’t make an effort to learn it or approach it with a tripod mentality you probably won’t see their advantages. If you like a tripod better that’s great but some of your statements are stretching the truth.
Fair enough. Tell you what, send me a video of you using the quad sticks and the technique you are using. I'm open to learning something new and did use the quad sticks for quite a while before going back to the tripod version.

Change my mind and I buy another set. Probably the Blaser or Viper-Flex.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyrtleDick

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.