What’s the best tripod for under $500

Shifty05

Reaction score
Media
Never owned a good tripod and finally used one last season and realized the nesscecity of it. I’m also switching glass this year to a Leupold gold ring spotter. Would like the ability to clamp and rifle into it for a rest aswell. What should I get?

This is what I have:

https://store.sirui.com/products/sirui-standard-series-carbon-fiber-tripod-kit

It is for use with optics. I am very happy with it. The VA-5 fluid head is outstanding for optics use. For use with a rifle, a ball head is a better choice:

https://store.sirui.com/products/ball-head-k-10x

There are various ways to attach your rifle to the tripod, from something like a Triclawps Shooting Saddle to various rail mount systems (Arca, Picatinny, etc.).

Once you have decided all of that, you will need to decide whether or not you find it practical to use the same tripod for both optics and for mounting your rifle, or if it would be better to use a second tripod for shooting. Either way, the gear starts to add up pretty quickly.

After thinking it over, I decided to reserve the tripod for optics use. I decided that field shooting practice using a sling and pack is a more practical solution than carrying the extra gear required to shoot from a tripod.

Others may see things differently...

Attachments

I’m sure there are lots of better options out there… but I’ve been perfectly happy with my bog pod death grips… I put a death grip head on a mini tripod (6”) that I can use in a blind, and have one of their carbon fiber full size tripods that can be used outside of a blind…

Again, I’m sure there are more rugged, more stable, tripods with fancier options and functions out there… but I’ve had zero issues out of the bog pod… when paired with my Christensen 300 prc it makes for a very accurate combo..

I use a manfrotto camera tripod. I made a simple v out of metal that clips into the quick release. You can also get a clip on head from primos etc that grips your rifle. I have found a camera tripod is more stable and you can use it for camera work as well.

Two vets
Vortex

I'm running the RRS with an anvil head. I clip my binos, spotter, and rifle into them. They exceed your price point. They might be worth looking at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonAzc4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Christensen MPP 308 w/o brace
CZ 1012 12 ga
Tokarev TBP 12ga Bull Pup
Stoeger M3000 12ga
Springfield Prodogy 9mm
booker wrote on Wesley's profile.
Hello Wesley, on your M70 .416 do you only want cash or are you interested in trades?