Western US Guided Elk - Without Preference Points - Recommendations?

A New Mexico outfitter that can get landowner tags is your best bet. And the good outfitters are probably 3 years out for openings.

Draw odds suck everywhere right now - even New Mexico using an outfitter. High demand areas are well under 50%. In addition, some New Mexico outfitters are allowing DIYs to apply using their outfitter number in hopes of increasing odds. But in reality, it's diminishing chances.

Wyoming 2024 took 5 points to draw a general license. I went to Wyoming in 2023 - I had 4 points going into the special draw for a general license. I drew with 33% odds - the year before was 100%. Point being (pun intended) is that the point creep in Wyoming is only going to get worse. Not to mention guys who have 10 plus points hoping to draw a LQ unit are realizing they'll never draw in that and are going to say heck with it and go for a general license.

Your options are

1) Apply and hunt Random Draw state (ID, NM) where there are no points and risk part of your group not drawing

2) Hunt OTC Colorado where they’re slashing back OTC permits, BUT yall can get a point each year for the next year or two before you go to draw something

3) Purchase a land owner voucher in NM, UT (CWMU), CO (RFW) from one of the many guides & outfitters. A decent hunt in a unit that produces 270-300” bull will likely be right in-line with your $12-15k budget at current pricing

4) Hunt some of the guaranteed outfitter tags in Idaho. Since outfitters own their concession areas they still have OTC elk tags for hunters booked with them. You can hunt some of the famed wilderness areas like Frank Church, Hells Canyon, and Gospel Hump OTC by booking with the outfitter who holds that concession

5) build a couple points in Wyoming to try and hunt there in a couple years. You can also try to find someone with a lot of points who doesn’t care about the unit and get them to apply with you so it averages out.

6) draw a general permit in Montana or Wyoming that can sometimes be drawn with no points

A lot of outfitters offer horseback hunts but from my experience they’re much more common in Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming with most every outfitter hunting a wilderness area using horse & mules.

Colorado and Idaho

Check CWO

This is where I would start also for a CO hunt, Scott is a very good guy, took a bunch of time to help me talk through CO hunting options. For Elk or Mulie, I would at least give him a ring and chat.

could definitely do it in montana for 10k all in. archery or rifle, but the rifle permit would be a tough draw. archery almost garunteed. 280-320 class bulls, i know people personally who hunt the same outfitter every year archery and have harvested 3 of 5 years and one of those years they lost the animal and the other he missed the only shot. so 100% shot opportunity over 5 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebraMoen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa