Western US Guided Elk - Without Preference Points - Recommendations?

Cuthberto

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m looking to plan a guided elk hunt to take with a couple buddies in the next couple years. I realize winning the preference point game is most likely not an option in the preferred areas with better hunting. Therefore, I’m looking for guided options, in good areas, where preference points aren’t needed. Any western state is fine, and while I’d love a big bull, I’m not expecting world class animals - just a great experience. A horse pack-in hunt would be ideal. My research hasn’t gotten me very far.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Probably looking at $12-$15k per hunter as the budget.

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

There are a number of outfitters in Colorado who guide in OTC elk hunts.

Just do a search for Colorado Guides and Outfitters association and go from there.

Be very careful going to Colorado. Most areas I have found are over hunted and the outfitters are hit or miss. Had 2 bad experiences and 1 good one.

Rising Son Outfitters (https://www.huntinginmontana.com ), Pray Montana. I've taken both archery and rifle season elk. Montana does have a point system, but it's only takes a couple of points.

1724632383661.png

I hunted in 2018 with these guys in New Mexico. I drew my first year. No preference points in new Mexico. Killed a 340" 6x6 on the last day of a 5 day rifle hunt. The owner Justin knows his stuff. Grew up in NM and is a forest firefighter there also. Can't go wrong with him.
Screenshot_20240825-203436.png

Reach out to shanescottoutfitting@hotmail.com in Utah. Ask him about available landowner or cwmu tags. He might be able to offer some advice
I thought about suggesting this but any of the hunts on CWMU's are most likely out of his budget.

We're actually discussing this on another forum right now and his budget is $23,000. But he also wants a 380 bull.

Be very careful going to Colorado. Most areas I have found are over hunted and the outfitters are hit or miss. Had 2 bad experiences and 1 good one.
Colorado still has plenty of elk but most of the bulls are on the smaller end except for where you have to wait years to draw. But there are exceptions but those areas are hard to access and the outfitters know that and charge accordingly.

As for the outfitters, there are bad ones all over and a client needs to do their homework.

Colorado is cutting back hard on over the counter tags. You will need points just about anywhere , with any outfit. Wyoming has points purchasing open right now. Go buy them and start building. The outfit I’m hunting with in October had 2 guys not draw with 3 points on a general license.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NydiaBlesi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.