Reaction score
Website
onlygunsandmoney.com
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa
I've come across a Weatherby Mark V Alaskan in .375 H&H in an auction estate sale. Included with the rifle is a Weatherby hard case and a Pentax scope.

From what I have been able to find out, the Mark V Alaskan uses electroless nickel coating over chrome moly instead of stainless steel. It was made for a limited time in the early 90s in Japan by Howa for Weatherby. The stock is a straight combed polymer stock. How this rifle ended up in the middle of nowhere NE Alabama is unknown.

Is the fact that it is nickel coated instead of stainless an issue that would make one shy away from this rifle? I doubt I'll ever hunt in the wet of Alaska. I know there is the issue of push feed vs. CRF but I can live with that.

What would be the most you'd want to pay for a rifle like this? Currently, with the premium it is sitting at approximately $500.

Thanks.

You have a lot of wiggle room with the price just sitting at $500. It may go up past $1500 to the right buyer.

I would grab it if possible.

Wow, if it stays under $1000 I’d buy it immediately, I’ve not seen a used Weatherby Alaskan listed online for under a $1000 in awhile, usually listed for a lot more. Plus this one has a Pentax scope and case. Sometimes they are erroneously listed as stainless steel but you can immediately tell it’s an Alaskan with the blackened aluminum floor plate.

The Mark V Alaskan’s were produced in the early 90’s like you mentioned in the Howa plant before Weatherby went to stainless steel. My understanding from the Weatherby forum is the electroless nickel process was too expensive and they only did it for a few years before going to stainless. Also, the electroless nickel is considered superior to stainless steel for rust resistance properties. They are desirable to Weatherby collectors. I agree with JimP worth $1500 or more.

Last edited:
Back in the early 90’s I would drool over the Alaskan in the Weatherby catalogue.
Unfortunately it was waaayy beyond my financial abilities.
Buy it!!!

The Alaskan sold for $852 plus 22% or $1,040. I stopped bidding around $600. To be honest, while it was interesting and I would have bought it if I could have gotten it cheap, I will just wait until something with CRF, wood, and blued steel comes along.

All was not lost as I picked up a Pentax Lightseeker 2-8x scope (made in the USA) for $32.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy777

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles