We are taking my Dad on his FIRST African Safari!!!

I think every hunter that goes to Africa for the first time, and sets his eyes on a big Kudu bull, wants to add one to the list. Spiral horned critters are the things dreams are made of.
Yes this! Gina and I have talked about kudu as she doesn't have one yet. We shall see what happens;)

Congratulations to your dad for his retirement! I'm sure he was probably excited and scared at the same time. This is going to be an awesome adventure to read. I wish you three the best of luck, and please capture your dad's excitement and happiness during the safari. Wishing you guys the best and may the Hunting Gods cast their spell of good luck on your safari.

I'm 19 days from retirement, and I'm excited and scared sh*t less all in one. :ROFLMAO: I've been working since I was 16 years old.
You are so correct! Facing the possibility of retiring myself someday. Not something I had contemplated much before. I would talk smart about it but never "really" thought I would get to the point of fully retiring....

Gina's mom was talking about Robert retiring and how he resisted and how he put his job ahead of everything including family. I tried to explain to her that men, at least good men, are hard wired to be the provider. And yes our jobs/careers/businesses are important to us! But they are important because they provide for our families. Many women fail to fully grasp that. Gina gets it because she had to be the provider for too many years.

And with the situation since Covid and the political disaster this country has suffered.... It is scarey for many to know the money will go far enough!

But on the other hand, retire while you can still enjoy the fruits of your labors!

But on the other hand, retire while you can still enjoy the fruits of your labors!

That is exactly my point, and what I keep telling myself. What good does it do to have XYZ amount of money in the bank if you can't go out and enjoy it.

I can't wait to see pictures and read about this safari. :)

UPDATE:

Dad retired!! For real. I was there to witness it, or else I would not have believed it.Thursday, May 30 was his last day of work. I worked where my dad works about 27 years ago. The girls in the office called and said they were throwing a surprise party for Dad. His name is Robert and most everyone calls him Bob.

I have been dealing with contractors non-stop since we bought the new house a year ago and have been painting when I am home. I had just finished painting the dining room and a powder room (still needed touch ups because new windows were being installed) when I got the notice about Dad’s party. I had less than a weeks notice.
So Bob and I rearranged everything to make a trip to Oklahoma to go to the party.

It was a really nice party! Dad loves grilling, so the guys in the shop grilled burgers and hot links for Dad at lunch time. Had all the yummy sides to go with and then at 2:30 they had massive amounts of cupcakes delivered. Bob, my Mom, my Son and our granddaughter Lilly were all at the party.

The President was in a meeting that went long at lunch but the shop manager and VP gave a nice speech about Dad and the President gave one during cupcakes. I wrote a speech and made Dad and several others weepy when I delivered it. It was a great time! :love: The next day Bob and I took Dad to get vaccinations. Then on Saturday, Presley and I drove home to Texas so I could deal with flooring installers, electricians, window guys, and the Bobs went to MN to get a load of tractors to haul to TX.

We head out to Oklahoma to pick up Dad in just a few days then head to MN to wrap up some things before the trip. Got the house sitter for TX squared away and I am nearly finished packing. Dad is already packed.

June 23 is wheels up to Africa!! We are looking forward to sharing our adventures with our AH family and friends. I am so blessed to be going on this trip with @ActionBob and my Dad! We have some HUGE surprises for Dad when we get there!

More to come…

Gina

Congratulations on your dad's retirement.

My dad taught me to hunt and took me on scores of hunting trips. I am blessed to have hunted a decent amount. In the 80's I took my dad on a turkey hunt. He had never shot a turkey. Thinking back, that is the only hunt I ever took him on. We got a tom to come in and dad told me to shoot. I had to lay my shotgun on the ground and say the tom is walking if you don't shoot. He shot and killed his only turkey. He got as much joy from that turkey and that hunt as he did from a buffalo or elephant. I got more joy being with him as he shot that turkey than in shooting a buffalo or elephant myself. My eyes are watering up as I write this.

The two of you are to be commended for taking your father on this hunt. Knowing you and Bob and the people you are, I am confident that both of you will receive more pure joy showing your father Africa and being with him on his first safari than in any hunting accomplishments you have ever been apart of.

I am looking forward to your report. Have the time of your lives!

Safari Njema!

Great job on putting this together. I tried to get my dad to go. Mom wasn’t willing to allow any mounts on a wall so he never went. Then it got too late and his health went. He passed away 3 1/2 yrs ago. I still have an impulse occasionally to pick up the phone and call him…………

Enjoy the time you have with him. You never know how long you have. I’m looking forward to your hunt report and the pictures!
Bruce

Glad to hear the trip is on!!!! I can't wait to hear all about it. The best part about Africa is sharing it with others.

Congrats to your dad on his retirement. At this point I plan for my nervous breakdown rather than retirement as it seems like a more likely goal.

To all the comments about doing things while one can, and while those you want to share the experiences with can.

So correct! I had the absolute honor of accompanying @Bullthrower338 and his father on a hunt. Cody's dad was thrilled to just be spending that quality time with his son but then Cody surprised him with the opportunity to take a big buffalo bull himself. These can be hard men most of their lives, they were brought up by harder men. But all that hardness just melts away during such moments ;)

Cody lost his dad shortly after that.... I'm blessed to have spent that time with him. Gina's dad has a lot of similarities :) So did mine, but he's been gone almost 40 years now.

Gina forgive me. I am 85 and pretty slow so cannot find where in Africa you are headed with your Pop And would love to know. I wish I could have taken my Dad. he was my hunting partner But just could not afford Africa before he passed on. I have taken his old cowboy silk scarf on every African trip for 50 years. Besides being my father he was my best friend. All the best on your lovely trip and as well his happiness I am sure he is very proud of you.

Best of luck on your Safari, Gina! I’m sure it’ll be a blast to see Africa through your dad‘s eyes!
It’s funny how many people are retiring! I’m laying down this “veil of tears“ on Dec 31. 34 years with the same company and 47 years of continuous employment. It’s time to enjoy the fruits of my labor, as mentioned by several posters on this thread. My retirement gift to myself is a leopard hunt in Namibia in late April 25. I’m taking my son with me for his first safari, and of course I can’t do a safari without @Jeff505 , so he will be accompanying us.

Looking forward to reading your report!

I just took my Dad on his first safari in March at 78. He started teaching me to hunt when I was still in diapers. As an adult I have carved out a couple weeks a year to spend hunting with him. We are headed back next year. I tell mom I’ve created a monster. He even looks at Africa’s weather every day. Gina it’s going to be a very rewarding trip. In ways you can imagine until your there. Best of luck!

To all the comments about doing things while one can, and while those you want to share the experiences with can.

So correct! I had the absolute honor of accompanying @Bullthrower338 and his father on a hunt. Cody's dad was thrilled to just be spending that quality time with his son but then Cody surprised him with the opportunity to take a big buffalo bull himself. These can be hard men most of their lives, they were brought up by harder men. But all that hardness just melts away during such moments ;)

Cody lost his dad shortly after that.... I'm blessed to have spent that time with him. Gina's dad has a lot of similarities :) So did mine, but he's been gone almost 40 years now.
Glad you were there Bob, he had the time of his life. It truly is one of my favorite memories!

Gina forgive me. I am 85 and pretty slow so cannot find where in Africa you are headed with your Pop And would love to know. I wish I could have taken my Dad. he was my hunting partner But just could not afford Africa before he passed on. I have taken his old cowboy silk scarf on every African trip for 50 years. Besides being my father he was my best friend. All the best on your lovely trip and as well his happiness I am sure he is very proud of you.
@Happy Myles

Greetings! I apologize for my late reply, we have been on the road from TX to MN and tending to work duties before our trip.

We will be going to Zimbabwe, Limpopo, Zambia, Botswana, and Krueger. Since this may be the only time my Dad may go, we have planned an entire month of adventures that he will hopefully be talking about from now on. This will be the first time I have ever hunted with Dad and I am beyond excited. If I don’t get anything on my list, just hunting with him and seeing him experience Africa for the first time is going to be the best part of this trip. I am extremely blessed to be able to do this with my Dad.

We fly out today!! Thank you so much for your kind words! I am looking forward to sharing our adventures. :)

Good luck to you all, and may the Hunting Gods cast their spell of good luck on your trip.

Anxiously waiting for the details and pictures.

I am so excited!! Not only will this be his first safari, it will be his first trip outside the US!
My Dad has been a life long hunter. I remember him traveling to Colorado every year with his hunting buddies to go hunting. He is the person who explained and made me understand why, at such a young age, why Bambi’s mother was killed. He taught me about conservation and why hunting was important and healthy. Where I come from, Dads did not take their daughters hunting. It just was not done. I am thankful that he taught my son about hunting and conservation. My son killed his first buck when he was eight years old with my Dad. He taught my son how to do all the important things about hunting and fishing and conservation.

My dad is 70 years old. He still works full time. He is a machinist. He runs four manual machines in the machine shop he works in. God made my Dad tough as nails. I remember well when I was 7 years old, my dad was saddle breaking a horse and the horse fell on my dad. He suffered a compound fracture. His foot his still attached thanks to metal plates and screws.

He has had back surgeries and his neck is fused, however, he can work circles around men less than half his age! When he was out for neck surgery, it took 4 men to do the job that my dad does solitary, on a daily basis.
My Dad has committed to retirement in 2024. As a retirement gift, Bob ( @ActionBob) and I are taking him to Africa!!!!

We gifted him with the perfect shot II book. As of now, he is quite interested in a Cape buffalo, blue wildebeest, and impala. He is so excited and I cannot get over how excited I am to just go on this adventure with him and watch him hunt in Africa! He said, “Gosh, I just never thought I would ever get to go hunt in Africa.” He has hunted since he was old enough to do so.

We are going in 2024! He already sent off for his passport! I am looking forward to sharing our hunt report with all of you here on AH! How fortunate I am to get to take my Dad to Africa. @ActionBob and my dad share the same name. I get to go to Africa with my two favorite Bobs!! :love:

Updates to come on our progress. I am beyond excited!!!!
@Just Gina - You absolutely “gush” Love for your Father and it is evident in every word of your Post…every Father should be a Hero to their Children and it sounds like your Dad is “your Hero”. What a wonderful gift you are giving him and I’m sure you will All enjoy the trip and the lasting memories it creates. All of my best hunts have been with my children — any hunt with them is a “great” hunt.
Wishing you ALL the best.

@Happy Myles

Greetings! I apologize for my late reply, we have been on the road from TX to MN and tending to work duties before our trip.

We will be going to Zimbabwe, Limpopo, Zambia, Botswana, and Krueger. Since this may be the only time my Dad may go, we have planned an entire month of adventures that he will hopefully be talking about from now on. This will be the first time I have ever hunted with Dad and I am beyond excited. If I don’t get anything on my list, just hunting with him and seeing him experience Africa for the first time is going to be the best part of this trip. I am extremely blessed to be able to do this with my Dad.

We fly out today!! Thank you so much for your kind words! I am looking forward to sharing our adventures. :)
I’m kind of a geography/miles traveled freak. How many miles from Texas to Minnesota? Thanks!

I’m kind of a geography/miles traveled freak. How many miles from Texas to Minnesota? Thanks!
From our Texas place just South of Interstate 10 to our Minnesota place North of Interstate 94, it is 1385 miles. We took the Motorhome on this trip so a little slower traveling but we are so burned out on hotels that we much prefer staying in the camper:) And we brought a trailer to bring another load back to Texas.

After the trip we fly back to Minnesota to get Presley. Then we have business appointments to get to in SW Kansas, a 950 mile trip from MN and then 650 to our Texas place. However after the Kansas visit we need to drop Gina's dad off in Oklahoma and that adds 400 miles. Poor guy is going to be gone about 6 weeks and he's already missing Gina's mom and the pup. And 'Lil Ann as he calls Lilly;)

If all is well in Minnesota when we get back, we may take the South Dakota route to Kansas to stop by our expansion project there.... although the Jr Partners have really taken ownership of that;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimonGlass

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

JG26Irish_2 wrote on WISafariHunter's profile.
About Lon's Elephant hunts w/Tokoloshe? I hear Lon is battling cancer? What is his long term prognosis? I am already booked to hunt Africa in 2024 2025. Might consider 2026 for another African hunt. I want to hunt a more wild open region devoid of civilization. Concern is the risk that I book f/2026 then find poor Lon has passed on? Does Lon have any assistance to carry on the business in his absence?
Life is Short live it how you want...
jgraco33 wrote on 85lc's profile.
Is your 22HP still available? If so have the original case?
tacklers wrote on ianevans's profile.
Hi Ian, I'm contemplating my first outing, leaving UK via Dubai to Africa, taking rifles as you did.

I presume it went okay for you, would you have done anything differently? Cheers, Richard East Sussex