Water Buffalo from Down Under pedestal mount

Ku-winda

AH veteran
Joined
Oct 7, 2023
Messages
244
Reaction score
1,321
Media
31
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
NRA, DSC Foundation Treasurer, Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Australia, New Zealand
Got a call from Matt Otten (Otten Brothers Taxidermy, Pipe Creek, Texas) earlier in the week, indicating he had finished my water buffalo, along with oldest son Cameron's, as well. Consequently, I stopped by yesterday to check them out and thought both turned out fantastic and wanted to share. I had told Matt I wanted people to be able to fully appreciate the size of these animals, so we did mine on a pedestal mount. He has a source in Utah for aged Utah Juniper that for all intents and purposes is as dense as ironwood and we used that for the pedestal. I asked him to get the biggest one he could find for mine and he indicated the base alone weighs somewhere in that 300-350 pound range, so won't be moving it around once I get it settled. He did Cameron's as a typical wall mount and that looks great as well. Definitely brings back fond memories looking at them! Also including pics on the hoof for a before and after look - as, you can see Cameron's bull had beautiful jet black hair, while mine was a bit older and follically challenged to boot (a bit like me). We still have three European mounts as well and I will share those when complete. Anyway, I hope our Aussie brothers approve and comments are welcome as always.

Craig's bull on the ground
CADS WB bull.PNG

Pedestal mount
WBfirst.jpg


WB2.jpg


WB3.jpg

Cameron's bull on the ground
cams bull on ground.PNG

Wall mount
Cams bull.jpg
 
Super nice mounts on some very nice Bulls.
Congrats.
The quality of the taxidermy work really shines,
 
Very nice mount. I hope you have a large space to put that in.
 
You need to look for another housekeeper! :D I'm sure you could find a couple hundred Venzuelan gals who would fight for the job right about now. :D
 
Those are tremendous bulls. Looks like your taxidermist did top notch work. All record you taking the time to share the pictures with us.
Thank you @CamoManJ and @Fatback , it was an amazing experience in the NT on Aboriginal lands and the number and quality of buffalo we saw was off the charts. I will pass along your comments to Matt, as he will be pleased to hear them. He's been doing all of my work for over ten years and I can recommend him without reservation.
 
Excellent! Thats a great mount :D Beers:
 
Looks great, congrats !
 
Superb. Wonderful looking mounts.
I'm guessing you hunted with Simon Kyle-Little?
I hunted September 2023 and had a blast.
 
Superb. Wonderful looking mounts.
I'm guessing you hunted with Simon Kyle-Little?
I hunted September 2023 and had a blast.
Thank you very much. We did indeed with SKL - looks like we were there right there before you, first eight days in August. One hell of a place! Please do share pics.
 
WOW, the pedestal mount is fantastic. I was going to do a pedestal mount for my Eland but realized my room was too small for it.
 
Very nice and I particularly like the pedestal mount. I wonder if you could put that pedestal on wheels? Any idea what it weighs all told?
 
Really impressive taxidermy. I’ll bet his Cape buffalo are equally impressive.
 
I had to look up Pipe Creek, TX...68 people?? Pretty little town.
 
Craig, nice to see the finished product.
 
I haven’t been in there shop but hear nothing but good things about there work and by looking at those two rightfully so.

Awesome bulls, that’s a dream trip for me
 
Stunning taxidermy and love that pedestal.
 
Thank you very much. We did indeed with SKL - looks like we were there right there before you, first eight days in August. One hell of a place! Please do share pics.
I really enjoyed my hunt with him and couldn’t have asked for a better first big game experience. I’m still waiting for mine to be mounted.. the skin is in the pickle at the moment.

IMG_1513.jpeg
IMG_1681.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice bulls and mounts, congrats!
I'm a taxidermist here in Australia, and those are some of the nicest buff mounts I've seen outside our shores. You've every right to be happy!

Cheers
Tim
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,375
Members
169,548
Latest member
LucioPrend
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top