Was anyone flying Delta 200 on Monday night?

jpr9954

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
onlygunsandmoney.com
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa
My brother-in-law was supposed to be flying to Jo'berg on Wednesday as a non-revenue Delta retiree. Now the flight is all full because Monday's flight from Atlanta to Jo'berg (Delta 200) was diverted back to Atlanta.

Was anyone on Monday's flight and, if so, what caused the flight to divert back to Atlanta after being in the air for about 1.5 hours?

Flightaware data: Flew for about 1-1/2 hrs in a holding pattern at 10,000 ft, near the airport. Probably burning fuel to get down to an allowable landing weight.

You can go to the actual webpage and click on "Replay" and see the flight as it happened.

1716921288986.png

Flightaware data: Flew for about 1-1/2 hrs in a holding pattern at 10,000 ft, near the airport. Probably burning fuel to get down to an allowable landing weight.

You can go to the actual webpage and click on "Replay" and see the flight as it happened.

View attachment 609092
I saw that. I wonder if it was bad weather that blew up over the South Atlantic after they took off or a mechanical issue.

Seriously it was ! It was on the internet so it has to be true doesn’t it.

The Flight Tracker/Flight Aware data is recorded data and it is linked to specific flights on specific dates. It's not made up so it is very real.

When Delta first started regular service with their new A350s post covid between JNB and ATL, they occasionally overloaded cargo then had to divert to Boston instead of direct to ATL because of fuel/range issues as the A350 didn't have the range of their older 777s. Apparently they would wait to notify the passengers on the diverted flights until well out over the Atlantic. I looked at the Flight Tracker data for some of those diverted flights and it seems clear to me Delta was lying. They knew full well the Boston destination from the time of taking off from JNB and not an enroute decision they were forced to make as they crossed the Atlantic. For the direct flights to ATL that did not divert to Boston the flight track would be nearly identical to the old 777 track crossing the Africa coast in Namibia before heading more or less direct for ATL. For the diverted flights to Boston they did not take that track after leaving JNB.... they began that Boston track more northerly from the get-go following somewhat parallel to the Africa coastline near Liberia before heading out over the Atlantic on the track to Boston.

I imagine the wheels at Delta didn't count on some people actually looking closely at the available fight track data so they kept using the prescribed excuse for covering up for the cargo overload issue, knowing full well the Boston destination before even leaving JNB. Nope not a conspiracy theory- that data doesn't lie. Just have to match the specific flight number to specific date.

Last edited:
The Flight Tracker/Flight Aware data is recorded data and it is linked to specific flights on specific dates. It's not made up so it is very real.

When Delta first started regular service with their new A350s post covid between JNB and ATL, they occasionally overloaded cargo then had to divert to Boston instead of direct to ATL because of fuel/range issues as the A350 didn't have the range of their older 777s. Apparently they would wait to notify the passengers on the diverted flights until well out over the Atlantic. I looked at the Flight Tracker data for some of those diverted flights and it seems clear to me Delta was lying. They knew full well the Boston destination from the time of taking off from JNB and not an enroute decision they were forced to make as they crossed the Atlantic. For the direct flights to ATL that did not divert to Boston the flight track would be nearly identical to the old 777 track crossing the Africa coast in Namibia before heading more or less direct for ATL. For the diverted flights to Boston they did not take that track after leaving JNB.... they began that Boston track more northerly from the get-go following somewhat parallel to the Africa coastline near Liberia before heading out over the Atlantic on the track to Boston.

I imagine the wheels at Delta didn't count on some people actually looking closely at the available fight track data so they kept using the prescribed excuse for covering up for the cargo overload issue, knowing full well the Boston destination before even leaving JNB. Nope not a conspiracy theory- that data doesn't lie. Just have to match the specific flight number to specific date.
In this case it was an eastbound flight heading to JNB. My nephew flew to London yesterday for work and his seatmate had been on the Monday DL 200 flight that was diverted. They were told it was a mechanical issue and were still heavy when they returned to Atlanta even after burning off fuel. Supposedly they blew a few tires on landing and had to be towed to the gate.

In this case it was an eastbound flight heading to JNB. My nephew flew to London yesterday for work and his seatmate had been on the Monday DL 200 flight that was diverted. They were told it was a mechanical issue and were still heavy when they returned to Atlanta even after burning off fuel. Supposedly they blew a few tires on landing and had to be towed to the gate.
Sounds legit. I just finished two long, multi-leg RT flights. After 15 hours in the air on the long outbound leg we made at least 5 or 6 holding pattern circles of the destination airport before clearance to land. The real time cockpit display was both entertaining and frustrating to watch. Approach the airport HAC, maintain altitude, circle back around.... over and over :( Apparently inbounds were stacked up, by coincidence, coming from all directions. Better that than a mechanical problem. Coincidentally on this same trip had a mechanical failure on first leg small commuter. Had to fly in another plane with pilot- huge delay. Of course that set in motion the domino effect disrupting all connections downstream- some 4 of them with final destination half way around the world. OH, the joys of travel :)

I personally don't have any problems with a plane turning around at the first hint of issues, no matter how inconvenient. I'd rather be late, than crab bait at the bottom of an ocean.

I personally don't have any problems with a plane turning around at the first hint of issues, no matter how inconvenient. I'd rather be late, than crab bait at the bottom of an ocean.
I’m inclined to agree with you on that.

Regarding your comments on JNB to ATL diverting to Boston and the flight taking a route somewhat paralleling the African coast. Your story could be true, but I think there are other more likely stories.

BTW, as weird as it seems, JNB-BOS is about 500 miles less than JNB-ATL, due to the great circle route.

First, what are the winds aloft or jetstreams doing? I flew every 28 days between Houston and Luanda, Angola for 5-1/2 years (about 70 transatlantic flights) and we took several different routes, depending on the winds aloft, weather, etc.

The last time I flew Delta 200 to JNB, we flew south, down the coast of Brazil and then turned east. Must have been very favorable winds, because we got to JNB early.

Second, a traditional refueling stop for airlines has always been in Dakar, Senegal. If a flight takes off from JNB and figures it can't make it all the way, pit stop in Dakar is preferable to diverting to Boston.

Regarding your comments on JNB to ATL diverting to Boston and the flight taking a route somewhat paralleling the African coast. Your story could be true, but I think there are other more likely stories.

BTW, as weird as it seems, JNB-BOS is about 500 miles less than JNB-ATL, due to the great circle route.

First, what are the winds aloft or jetstreams doing? I flew every 28 days between Houston and Luanda, Angola for 5-1/2 years (about 70 transatlantic flights) and we took several different routes, depending on the winds aloft, weather, etc.

The last time I flew Delta 200 to JNB, we flew south, down the coast of Brazil and then turned east. Must have been very favorable winds, because we got to JNB early.

Second, a traditional refueling stop for airlines has always been in Dakar, Senegal. If a flight takes off from JNB and figures it can't make it all the way, pit stop in Dakar is preferable to diverting to Boston.
Nonsense. If that were true why the irregular nature of the diversions to Boston? Delta would simply make the Dakar stop as part of the regular flight plan between ATL and JNB using their A350. That Dakar stop was the regular flight plan for the old SAA Dulles to JNB flights. Been there done that a few times. Explanation is really straight forward. Delta simply didn't count on individuals (non-sheeple) with a brain having access to the flight tracker/flight aware data and being able to interpret it. Delta A350 leaves JNB headed to ATL. They know the exact weight of the load and have a good idea of winds and storm cells enroute. They leave JNB and take the Boston track from the get go but decide to tell passengers, while the flight is over the Atlantic, "This is your captain speaking... this fight must be diverted to Boston because of conditions encountered and fuel limitations. So sorry for the inconvenience. We will have ground crews meet you in Boston to help with connections to your destination".

Last edited:
If there are irregular diversions of the JNB-ATL Flt 201 to Boston, how often are they occurring? Once a month? A couple times a year? I am not aware of the number, but I don't track it either. Looking at Flightaware for the past week, one flight diverted into SAV. It appears to be weather related at ATL and/or could be fuel related too.

I just don't think Delta would trade cargo for fuel in JNB. They are pushing the Airbus 350 to max range already with the JNB-ATL route and they really want the plane to arrive in ATL, not Boston or anywhere else. Diverting puts equipment (planes) and crews out of position and may require the plane to be flown empty from Boston to ATL to get in back in position. When the plane lands in ATL, it typically has a flight to some other major destination, say LA. There aren't a lot of spare A350s in inventory, so it really causes a ripple effect of problems.

I just don't buy your conspiracy theories. But you are free to believe whatever you want.

1717245997000.png

1717246016796.png

1717246036913.png

That’s why you don’t fly Delta

I had heard that the return flight from Johannesburg to Atlanta was going to first go to Cape Town to top off fuel because of the take off limitations in Johannesburg being at higher elevations. That’s after they switched to the Airbus planes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorenceGa

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!