Wanting a high accuracy 308 bolt action rifle what to get?

@Shooter375 looks like some good groups!

mare you shooting though a culvert for noise dampening to not bother the neighbors? Does it help? What size? How long? Curious here!
That is at my local shooting range. They have five culverts (lanes) at the 100 yard range. The culverts are large enough to walk through. I am about 6 feet tall and need to be careful not to hit my head on the top of the culvert. They are about 15 yards long. I don't think they reduce or increase noise. I don't think they change or effect shooting much.

As far a past experience with shooting through culverts. When I was in high school in South Africa we had shooting teams at all the high schools. We would compete against other high schools on Saturday mornings. Each school had a 25 meter shooting range with about 20 concrete culverts that we would shoot prone through. We would shoot target .22 Anschutz rifles. Rifles and ammunition were supplied by the military. So I would shoot a 50 shot round at least 4-5 times a week through culverts and I guess just got used to it. Competition was tight with most matches being decided by a couple shots that missed the .22 caliber sized bullseye. That was alot of fun.

Looking hard at the Howa 1500 hs precision.
Remington is another I will have to look at but past experience with the newer production remingtons had been hit and miss for me.
Will look at the savages too.
They shoot very well, very fast lock time from I’ve read.

They shoot very well, very fast lock time from I’ve read.
I have a Howa 1500 hb in an a B&C M40 stock it shoots 5 shot ragged holes at 100 meters with Sierra168 grain SMKs & AR2208 Varget, incredible value for money pics of targets are in this thread. I use to be a REM 700 fan, the Howa is a much better product. no plastic exept the mag follower, no bolt handle dove tail like a Tikka , no alloy bolt shroud , & priced well.

Last edited:
@Shooter375 looks like some good groups!

mare you shooting though a culvert for noise dampening to not bother the neighbors? Does it help? What size? How long? Curious here!
I have shot through culverts, on a range in the upstate of South Carolina.

Once.

I had never shot through culverts before, the 200-yard range was set up this way, as to avoid shooting high, over the berm, away from the country-built homes that popped up all around the area after 30 years.

Shooting my Whitworth .375 H&H, the concussion of each shot was sensory overload. I had never experienced that.
Rattled my brain and body. the 1/4 harmonic of the culvert made for muzzle blast on steroids.

The culverts were approximately 3 meters by 12 meters, about 3 meters from the muzzle.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, I'm thinking of an accurate .308, besides my AR.

Thinking Kimber 84.

I have a Howa 1500 hb in an a B&C M40 stock it shoots 5 shot ragged holes at 100 meters with Sierra168 grain SMKs & AR2208 Varget, incredible value for money pics of targets are in this thread. I use to be a REM 700 fan, the Howa is a much better product. no plastic exept the mag follower, no bolt handle dove tail like a Tikka , no alloy bolt shroud , & priced well.
If I didn't end up going with the bergara it would of been a howa I like them a lot may one day still get a howa in 308

A review I wrote in late 2021:​

Benelli Lupo​

Let me start by saying this is a terrific rifle; so good that I’m going to say it’s a great value at $1499. This one is a .30-06, 7 lbs, 22” threaded barrel, great ergos. Benelli has brought their shotgun-engineering experience to this rifle. Adjustments can be made to drop, cast and trigger reach with included shims; LOP and comb height can be changed with optional accessories. There is a shotgun-inspired recoil reducer in the buttstock, and, after 35 rounds off the bench today, I can say it is really effective. The trigger is easily user-adjustable. Mine weighs 2.5 lbs, no take-up, no creep. The bolt is scalloped, allowing for 5 down rounds in the DBM, which loads easily, feeds reliably, is easy to get in and out of the gun, and you can easily top it up through the ejection port. Even with all the available adjustment, I found it good to go right out of the box. LOP is 13.8”, balance is good, throwing the bolt is slick and super fast. It’s a 3-lug bolt with 60° lift, so not only quick but room for big ocular housings. Bolt knob is kind of a smooth flattened football shape and works great. The action bolts into an alloy chassis, barrel is free-floated. Benelli touts their “Crio” barrel-making process, and this one does shoot. Best group today was .46” at 100; Barnes 180 gr TTSX. Only minor gripe is the safety; a tang safety, a little stiff, not my favorite.
EC776C08-CC18-4E9A-8579-7021F77C0843.jpeg
6EE2CFE7-17F0-42E9-85EA-2E43DE40118A.jpeg
78FDCDF5-5B5A-4235-85DD-2886BF7402C8.jpeg

I’ll vote Tikka. I have a couple both are tack drivers with great triggers out of the box. I own savage model 10, Remington 700, browning abolts. I’ll take the Tikka every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelBen

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com