Wanted Winchester M70 Stock

Joshlee0518

AH member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Winchester model 70 Classic SM (synthetic matte) model in 375 H&H. I love the rifle but would like to replace the synthetic stock with wooden one. This rifle has a two piece floor plate. Does anyone have a wooden stock that would fit my rifle you could part with? Thanks

I don't have a stock to sell, but I did the same thing a few years ago to my M70 Classic Stainless. It was a good decision for me and made the rifle much more enjoyable, and better looking too. I got a Safari Express stock from CDNN when they had them. I highly recommend the upgrade.

IMG_4091.jpg

Congratulations on your acquisition. In my opinion, the Winchester Model 70 Classic Synthetic Matte is, hands down, the best value in a controlled round feed dangerous game rifle. I replaced my factory stock with a fiberglass McMillan and have been well pleased. Price was $700 shipped for full inlet, 1" Decelerator pad, two studs, 14" LOP and extra weight in the butt to counter the heavy barrel

View attachment 611595
Congratulations on your acquisition. In my opinion, the Winchester Model 70 Classic Synthetic Matte is, hands down, the best value in a controlled round feed dangerous game rifle. I replaced my factory stock with a fiberglass McMillan and have been well pleased. Price was $700 shipped for full inlet, 1" Decelerator pad, two studs, 14" LOP and extra weight in the butt to counter the heavy barrel
I love the rifle but for this particular setup, I would prefer it was wood. Do you think the barrel on the SM would fit in a safari model wooden stock?

Yes, so long as the stock was inlet for two-piece bottom metal. You'd only have to add a swivel stud in the foreend as all wooden stocked Safari Expresses and Super Expresses of that era came with barrel swivels.

I love the rifle but for this particular setup, I would prefer it was wood. Do you think the barrel on the SM would fit in a safari model wooden stock?
My Classic Stainless dropped right into a Safari Express stock with no need to modify the barrel channel. It has a fairly heavy barrel profile, and I have heard that Winchester used the same barrel profile for 375 and 458. I would assume that the Classic Synthetic Matte has a similar profile barrel.

Or a barrel swivel (clamp-on, sweat on, etc.) NECG, Uncle Mike's, etc.

I have owned the Synthetic Matte .375 H&H and the M70 Safari Express in .375 H&H and .416 Rem Mag. I think (I cannot provide exact measurements) that the late 1990's Synthetic Matte ,375 H&H had a slightly slimmer barrel, than the Safari Express, like the early 1990's Super Express.

The action hole spacing is the same. The SM. 375 should drop into the Safari Express stock, but the barrel channel is a bit wider. If you have a good gunsmith that beds stock, I would just have the barrel channel glass bedded, full length.
You will need the $12 floorplate adapter (2-piece rifle to 1 piece inletted stock).

If you load up some 230 grainers and take it to a hot Prairie Dog Town that extra space around the barrel, might come in handy!

Have you looked into Boyds stocks? I have quite a few and am a fan of their workmanship and quality.

I just replaced a synthetic stock with a M70 Super Grade stock. My gunsmith had a takeoff Super Grade stock laying around. Most of his customers will pull off wood to go synthetic. I was able to trade him even for my synthetic stock. Ask around at local shops and you may get lucky.

I have owned the Synthetic Matte .375 H&H and the M70 Safari Express in .375 H&H and .416 Rem Mag. I think (I cannot provide exact measurements) that the late 1990's Synthetic Matte ,375 H&H had a slightly slimmer barrel, than the Safari Express, like the early 1990's Super Express.

The action hole spacing is the same. The SM. 375 should drop into the Safari Express stock, but the barrel channel is a bit wider. If you have a good gunsmith that beds stock, I would just have the barrel channel glass bedded, full length.
You will need the $12 floorplate adapter (2-piece rifle to 1 piece inletted stock).
This is likely what I’m going to do. The safari express stocks are available on eBay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinjo

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt