Wanted Ruger No. 1 In 458 Lott

dankykang

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for a Ruger No. 1 that came from the factory in 458 lott. Would prefer a blued one but would take a stainless one as well. I am central Illinois so if you are within driving distance I would prefer that.

thanks,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 6.35.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 6.35.50 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 6.35.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 6.35.52 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 156
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 6.35.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 6.35.53 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 6.35.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 6.35.55 PM.png
    712 KB · Views: 163
thanks! does that seem a little too expensive to your eyes? I really want one but don't want to be too upside down on it
Yes. Everything is lofty right now. I would think somewhere around $1500 would be more reasonable. But not sure you'll find it right now.

Yes. Everything is lofty right now. I would think somewhere around $1500 would be more reasonable. But not sure you'll find it right now.
How much more rare is the 458 lott than 458 win? im seeing a lot of the latter for sale and i imagine its for a good reason if it is produced just as much:D thanks for the reality check i will keep my eyes peeled for something at least close to reasonable!

How much more rare is the 458 lott than 458 win? im seeing a lot of the latter for sale and i imagine its for a good reason if it is produced just as much:D thanks for the reality check i will keep my eyes peeled for something at least close to reasonable!
The 458 Win is way more common in a No1. They've made way more of them.

The #1 in .458 Lott is a difficult catch. They kick like hell, but people seem to snatch them up very quickly. I saw a walnut and stainless go for nearly $3800 on GB. Good luck in your search.

The #1 in .458 Lott is a difficult catch. They kick like hell, but people seem to snatch them up very quickly. I saw a walnut and stainless go for nearly $3800 on GB. Good luck in your search.
wow at that price i would rather just buy a cheap win mag and have it converted to 505 gibbs:D seems like even the m77s are selling for less than 2500. Im glad to hear it kicks like hell, 12 gauge slugs have been getting boring haha

I have a #1 in 450 3 1/4" NE. From the factory, it came in at about 7 1/2 lbs. Ridiculous and to add insult to injury, it came with typical worthless Ruger recoil pad. I spoke with the Ruger reps at the 2020 DSC Convention about these issues. They don't seem to get it. I give Ruger credit for some great offerings over the years; however, the "devil is always in the details." I lit my #1 off with one round of Hornady 500gr solids - don't need that abuse, and I am hardly a virgin when it comes to lighting off the big boys, including 7 and 8 bore muzzleloaders and an recently acquired factory 500 A-Square. I installed a mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock (no tools required) and an appropriately named "Limbsaver" pad.

I have a #1 in 450 3 1/4" NE. From the factory, it came in at about 7 1/2 lbs. Ridiculous and to add insult to injury, it came with typical worthless Ruger recoil pad. I spoke with the Ruger reps at the 2020 DSC Convention about these issues. They don't seem to get it. I give Ruger credit for some great offerings over the years; however, the "devil is always in the details." I lit my #1 off with one round of Hornady 500gr solids - don't need that abuse, and I am hardly a virgin when it comes to lighting off the big boys, including 7 and 8 bore muzzleloaders and an recently acquired factory 500 A-Square. I installed a mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock (no tools required) and an appropriately named "Limbsaver" pad.
were you looking to part ways with it? I just put an order in for a sako in 500 jeffery, hopefully that is enough to make me want to start looking a for more practical rifle:D If that isn't enough i think i'm going to be a hopeless case haha

Wow. My Lott is 9½# and it recoils with some vigor. I figured out why today. My 500 grain loads are chronoing around 2350fps @15'. Only a modest 6200 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. That calculates to 86ft-lbs of free recoil at 24fps.

Assuming your 500 grainer was going at 2150 that is 95ft-lbs at 28fps. I do not like those numbers in a #1. You're literally eating it every shot. There is no surprise trigger break. You're slapping it and holding on. Would you be so kind as to show us a photo of your rifle? I do adore the .450 NE #1's.

Best bet would be to find a #1 in .458 Win Mag, and have a competent Gunsmith Re-Chamber it for .458 Lott...
This is good advice because you get a better chamber throat this way. The Speer 400 grain SPRN is sticky when loaded long in the conventional Lott chamber of my No. 1 which is funny because it's shorter than a 500 grain interlock.

Was able to finally track down one locally for $1700. A little more than I was hoping to pay but it comes with dies, rings, projectiles, brass and a couple boxes of loaded ammo. Excited to punish my shoulder!

Was able to finally track down one locally for $1700. A little more than I was hoping to pay but it comes with dies, rings, projectiles, brass and a couple boxes of loaded ammo. Excited to punish my shoulder!
You have done well. If they're handloads pull and weigh charges at the very least.
Originally a Lott or a ream?

I have one in 450/400 and it comes in slightly heavier at 8lbs. That's about right for a 400, but I bet a 450 at 7.5 lbs is something to behold! Lol!

You have done well. If they're handloads pull and weigh charges at the very least.
Should be factory loads, will definitely not shoot someone elses handloads! haha im already going to flinch enough without the thoughts of putting my face behind some bubba loads... Original lott chambering. Will post some pictures once I get it home

Here she is, turned out it was in excellent condition. It was an old farmer who said he shot it maybe 5 times. Came with 4 20 round boxes of hornady factory ammo. I must say I'm a little disappointed in the recoil though. It certainly kicks but its not bad enough to not want another right after haha. I think the only cure for people like me is going to be a 2 bore... until then this should keep me busy! Thanks for the all advice gentleman!

unnamed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I only fired my .458 Lott once today...
IMG_20211124_081253427.jpg

Today was a very interesting day. Spike from 40 yards with a .458 Lott on the run. Express sights. 400 grain Speer SPRN absolutely destroyed his lungs. He continued on for about 20 feet and collapsed.

I only fired my .458 Lott once today...View attachment 438162
Today was a very interesting day. Spike from 40 yards with a .458 Lott on the run. Express sights. 400 grain Speer SPRN absolutely destroyed his lungs. He continued on for about 20 feet and collapsed.
wow that walnut looks amazing on the stainless! Your pretty brave going out there so undergunned:) Did the bullet expand at all or was it a clean hole straight through? hoping to crack some coyotes open my self after deer season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OPZJoycely

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.