SkullKeeper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Tanzania, Zambia
Looking for a set of dies - this is somewhat confusing but this is the cartridge based on the 404 J case. Thank you for any help with this.
IMG_5487.jpeg

I can ask our members at BASA excellent cartridge that resolved high pressure win mag and lott issues with low pressure round built for the hot African sun.

I found some but seems you got lucky before I got back to you.

What rifle do you have in this cartridge? I’ve read that it was designed for standard length and stretched actions. Really interesting and well thought out design by Pierre vd Walt.

What rifle do you have in this cartridge? I’ve read that it was designed for standard length and stretched actions. Really interesting and well thought out design by Pierre vd Walt.
I’m just getting started making sure I have all the components I need first (which I’ve now secured). I will be using a standard FN action which is what I built my 404J on as well. I’m excited about this project getting going.

Skullkeeper, if you want I can give you Pierre van der Walt's Phone number and you can chat to him directly on whatsapp over your project.

Any chance of a pic showing that cartridge (or case) in a line up with a .458WM and similar cartridges/cases?

Any chance of a pic showing that cartridge (or case) in a line up with a .458WM and similar cartridges/cases?
I will show you a lineup a bit later this morning. This cartridge is based on the 404J case necked to .458 diameter. There was much confusion at first because there was a 458 Express and the 458 African Express - the solution was dropping “express” off of the name to dub the cartridge the “458 African” … pics later !

Skullkeeper, if you want I can give you Pierre van der Walt's Phone number and you can chat to him directly on whatsapp over your project.
That would be fantastic- please PM me

I have a reamer in route (about 3 weeks out) so if anyone is interested in having a barrel done please PM me (I’m not a smith so you would need to have one lined up). Also, I picked up an extra set of dies and I can get properly head stamped brass as the photo shows. For those of you that take a walk on the wild(cat) side lol.

Last edited:
Here is a good lineup of .458 cartridges…
IMG_5509.jpeg

This head stamp is one I’m having engraved on my brass …
IMG_5487.jpeg

If our Firearm Licensing system especially for wildcat calibres wasnt susch a pain in the butt I would have converted my 458 lott to the African easily.

If the system ever goes better/easier I might just do that, 550gr bullets at 2200fps sounds like DG medicine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuiuntiy

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt