WANTED: Authentic African Dugout Canoe Wanted

Actually just had a thought……there’s a taxidermist in Botswana that makes elephants tusk, buffalo horn etc With the Okavango and all the Mokoro they have there it might be easier to get one cast out of fibreglass.
Sorry can’t remember who the taxidermist is but I think it’s a lady in Maun.
Kevin Robertson talked about her. The tusks are life like you apparently would not notice the difference between one real one and the imposter if they stood side by side. So a Mokoro might be a nice challenge
Debbie Peake, she made me a set. It's very good, but you can definitely see it from close.

I bet the cost of crate and ship alone would be $30k on this endeavor, not counting permits and sterilization of the wood, and god help you if the wood is a protected wood species.

I’d call around to museums in the USA. 90% of a museums assets are not on display. Surely a museum has a pile of them stacked up in the warehouse. Would a museum “gift” you one for a $25,000 donation or research grant? For certain if it could be done with propriety so it doesn’t look like you’re buying merchandise from a museum.
OUCH!!!

To me given I think you are in Texas is the best option by far

I am going to reach out to them. Looks like they do very nice work!!

They do really nice work. They were at DSC this past January show if anyone was by their booth. They were toward the back of the show. Had the big hand crafted bar and chairs and other items.

Probably best idea...shipping from this side as has been said would be serious cost...as also said depends on what tree it's made from....had client years ago buy bunch of wooden stuff....didn't go well when trying to ship due to them your side wanting know what type of wood etc etc etc before issuing permits....not sure if he ever managed to sort it....

Actually just had a thought……there’s a taxidermist in Botswana that makes elephants tusk, buffalo horn etc With the Okavango and all the Mokoro they have there it might be easier to get one cast out of fibreglass.
Sorry can’t remember who the taxidermist is but I think it’s a lady in Maun.
Kevin Robertson talked about her. The tusks are life like you apparently would not notice the difference between one real one and the imposter if they stood side by side. So a Mokoro might be a nice challenge
The lady is Debbie Peak, Mochaba (sp?) taxidermy.

I don't know if this goes here, but does anyone know where I can get an authentic African dugout canoe? I am doing an African theme in my trophy room and want to use it, maybe someone in Africa has access to one? I know it will be costly to ship but I would like to see if anything is out there.
Its called Mokore.
I have seen them being sold along the road to Caprivi. Below a photo of a coffee table made from Mokore in the camp.
1728793938877.png

1728793909207.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoraWhite3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.