Wanted A Square Rifle

lol ? it is weird (perhaps the great conqueror against Rome's name clashes with Taylor?) My Hannibal doesn't say Hannibal on it and the mfr/caliber inscriptions are quite light/shallow. The receiver serial no. is quite clear. I believe the SS bbl coating filled in the lettering somewhat on some models.
 
I have a 460 Short A Square Art sold me long ago. It is extremely accurate and I own and use several different heavy bullet rifles. Have taken elephant and buffalo with it and on a bet dropped a jackal at 300 yards. A lucky hold by me and the rifle backed me up
 
Why was the Name Hannibal Model rubbed off.
Krish
Early rifles did not have the "hannibal" script on the left side if the receiver. These being 1990s would likely not have them even though customized. I would like to know if anyone has a KY Hannibal with the "A Square, Made in USA" barrel marking with "Hannibal" on the receiver or if that was a later Wyoming addition.
 
I ordered my 416 Rigby from Asquare in 1985 as only 416 factory available at the time.
It has vague receiver stamps on the left side, RE on the top, bolt is stamped with number and only other markings are on the barrel. Serial # indicates receiver made in 1918.
rfull.jpg


stamp1.jpg


stamp2.jpg


Steve
 
Art Alphin is apparently alive and well and residing in Bozeman, MT. He has an active website. Has anyone tried to contact him?
 
Read thru his web site sometime ago. He spends his time as a trial forensics expert and he clocks by the minute!
Not a big fan of his stock design and he charged me quite a bit for a military Enfield actioned rifle but on the other hand, was able to ordered barrel contour, sight configuration, etc.
For me, his authoritative reference book, Any Shot You Want, from 22 caliber up to 700, is his biggest contribution.
 
Although over the years, I had communicated with the company before its demise, and have owned three of said rifles, I did not realize until very recently that Alphin was even alive, let alone in "business." He could be a source for the occasional discussion on this site re: A-Square rifles, ammo, etc. On the other hand he more likely wants nothing to do with that history. I am familiar with the general demise of A-Square, but I am sure to paraphrase Paul Harvey, there is more to that story than is generally known.
 
I didn't read the 7 pages so label me a buffoon since the thread was created in 2022. Back in the dark ages (pre-covid) an A-square rifle was largely worthless and an astute buyer could get some thing from Mr. Alpin's hands for a rounding error of zero.

Fast forward to post-covid and the justified enthusiasm for "any shot you take" the book, and I've seen meteoric rises in value for Art's rifles. In our modern era where semi-custom model 700s are selling for $4k, I consider Art's P14/P17/P19 (what do we call them GIs?) are now a bargain at most any price. There are several AH members sitting on A-square rifles mint as new looking for $4k prices. They're probably correct, and the next guy will probably double his money.

Disclaimer: I've never owned one. I probably will never own one. I have no intention of ever trying to own one. I would never make a copy for half the price of current market value. You're probably waiting too long to buy one as you read this. Grab them while they're available at the $4k pricepoint.
 
I didn't read the 7 pages so label me a buffoon since the thread was created in 2022. Back in the dark ages (pre-covid) an A-square rifle was largely worthless and an astute buyer could get some thing from Mr. Alpin's hands for a rounding error of zero.

Fast forward to post-covid and the justified enthusiasm for "any shot you take" the book, and I've seen meteoric rises in value for Art's rifles. In our modern era where semi-custom model 700s are selling for $4k, I consider Art's P14/P17/P19 (what do we call them GIs?) are now a bargain at most any price. There are several AH members sitting on A-square rifles mint as new looking for $4k prices. They're probably correct, and the next guy will probably double his money.

Disclaimer: I've never owned one. I probably will never own one. I have no intention of ever trying to own one. I would never make a copy for half the price of current market value. You're probably waiting too long to buy one as you read this. Grab them while they're available at the $4k pricepoint.
Assuming someone will even sell you one. I had a deal with one AH member that then backed out, and then another who was selling one but refused to use an escrow company (red-flag). Then theres the guy on GB selling the 577 t-rex one for $50k, or the one that just sold at auction for like $16k! Things sure have taken a surreal turn since Covid. Then again, it may have something to do with no more CZ 550s or Sako 85s.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,890
Members
169,462
Latest member
EaoacoYroacn
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top