Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
I’m looking for a 50 B&M rifle in that 18” barrel length. It’s one of the few 50‘s I haven’t tried yet. Any available out there?

I’m looking for a 50 B&M rifle in that 18” barrel length. It’s one of the few 50‘s I haven’t tried yet. Any available out there?

I do not currently know of any for sale or available........ Normally I would suggest a build, but now, since the big shakeup at SSK Industries, now SSK Firearms and under new ownership, that option is not available currently. The new Owner, David Fricke, formally of Lehigh, (Lehigh was sold to Wilson) has stated that SSK Firearms is no longer in the business of Custom Firearms Builds. If they are not doing that, I am not sure what they are going to do to stay in business.....??

In 2006 I made B&M Proprietary to SSK Industries, because of JD Jones and Brian Alberts, and the quality and integrity of the build. These were DGR and had to be built as such, and I knew that JD and Brian would uphold those standards without any question.

I do have Reamers and dies available, which are also Proprietary. On special circumstances I have made some exceptions to lend a hand to serious shooters. Other than that there is no plan currently to solve this issue. Brian is still with SSK Firearms, and is just as frustrated with the current situation as anyone. Brian was in charge of the B&M series exclusively. I really hate to trust just anyone with this mission.

Do keep in mind I am a shooter/hunter just like you guys, not a gunsmith and not at any way in the gun business or any related business. I wish I had a good option or solution for this, but the fact is things are fluid on this right now.

Michael

Glad I have mine in hand..............

IMG_2027-X3 Large.jpeg
DSC07867-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Michael…you know I want one as well, I’m in line!!! lol (in 458)
I wonder if enough interest was generated, the owner of SSK would take on the project?

A few years ago I was also very interested in an rifle caliber 458 B&M.

I contacted the company B&M to have a rifle built and received an answer very quickly, but was immediately warned that problems can occur. That was then confirmed because in our countries everything has to go through an proof house and for that you need an import company, what also the company had told me right away. B&M unfortunately does not have anything like that in Europe.

That's why I gave up this project.

I contacted the company B&M to have a rifle built and received an answer very quickly, but was immediately warned that problems can occur. That was then confirmed because in our countries everything has to go through an proof house and for that you need an import company, what also the company had told me right away. B&M unfortunately does not have anything like that in Europe.
I'm pretty sure you can find companies that can handle importing and proofing a firearm, as long as the US company agrees to deal with them.

I hear that getting the US ITAR paperwork sorted out is the difficult and costly part.

Currently I don't believe so.

That would be Daryl I assume. I love the 458 B&M.....
My next (and last?) rifle would have to be a compact "stopper", be it a double of something like the above-mentioned 458 B&M, Wish me luck in the upcoming Lotto

My next (and last?) rifle would have to be a compact "stopper", be it a double of something like the above-mentioned 458 B&M, Wish me luck in the upcoming Lotto
Just buy a Winchester model 70, 458 Win Mag and have the barrel cut to 20". Or a Blaser R8 458 Win or Lott with a 23.5" barrel. It's the same overall length as a standard bolt gun with a 20" barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonaldFran

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]