Walrus with Canada North Outfitters

I'm up in Nunavut working for the last month. lots of walrus about, but they are concentrated in specific locations. You won't have much trouble finding them. Locals are using the good weather to get out and hammer the Narwhal and Beluga. Enjoy your trip, and don't forget to stop at NuBrew on your way out.

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-13 at 21.33.46_e0ff2ddc.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-13 at 21.33.45_6af1a824.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I owe a report. But, this was honestly a life changing trip, and I am still trying to figure out what I want to say. I will post better photos when I get them off of the camera. In summary, a 400 grain Swift A-Frame will not pass through the neck of a large male.
20240823_181725.jpg

They take that massive creature apart in record time. The risk is the ice. If it closes you in you are in trouble. Also, the butchering is all done on the small piece of ice where the walrus was shot. It's a weird experience.
20240810_183843.jpg
20240810_171326.jpg
20240810_171117.jpg

The Inuit are a very proud, very smart and very capable people. Super friendly too.

These are shots of the images on my camera display. I have not had time to download them. Sorry for the crappy photos.

Ok, I owe a report. But, this was honestly a life changing trip, and I am still trying to figure out what I want to say. I will post better photos when I get them off of the camera. In summary, a 400 grain Swift A-Frame will not pass through the neck of a large male.
View attachment 628877

They take that massive creature apart in record time. The risk is the ice. If it closes you in you are in trouble. Also, the butchering is all done on the small piece of ice where the walrus was shot. It's a weird experience.
View attachment 628878View attachment 628879View attachment 628880

The Inuit are a very proud, very smart and very capable people. Super friendly too.

These are shots of the images on my camera display. I have not had time to download them. Sorry for the crappy photos.
That is so cool! It brings me back about 25 years. I was up in that neighborhood as a 20 something. This. Makes me motivated to go back and retrace some steps from years ago.

There are sooo.. many adventures to be had.

John

View attachment 628877

That is so cool! It brings me back about 25 years. I was up in that neighborhood as a 20 something. This. Makes me motivated to go back and retrace some steps from years ago.

There are sooo.. many adventures to be had.

View attachment 628877

@Pheroze: Do Walrus even have “a Neck”? Looks like 2 eyes & Tusks on 2000lbs of blubber.. That looks like a nice trophy and those Tusks look great - long and thick.
I never hunted walrus - never even saw one …but I’d be very pleased with that trophy !! You must of seen many interesting sights on that hunt….Congratulations

Very cool hunt, something I would do if I could import the tusks.

@Pheroze: Do Walrus even have “a Neck”? Looks like 2 eyes & Tusks on 2000lbs of blubber.. That looks like a nice trophy and those Tusks look great - long and thick.
I never hunted walrus - never even saw one …but I’d be very pleased with that trophy !! You must of seen many interesting sights on that hunt….Congratulations
I stressed over that shot even though it was only about 30 yards. They wanted the neck to freeze it, otherwise in the water it would sink. There are not a lot of landmarks! The best advice was that the spine enters the middle of the back of the head. The first shot (that was recoverd) actually clipped the top side of the spine and cut a grove in it. The shot dropped him. They wanted a second. I put it a little lower and to the left. That one hit square and buried itself into his spine - yes, did not exit the spine. The shot was 400 gr 0.410 @ 2350 fps. Good grief these are solid creatures.

I too have never see a walrus up close. Now that I have seen it I am going to shoulder mount, ahead of the flippers though. My wife is wondering where it's going....

I stressed over that shot even though it was only about 30 yards. They wanted the neck to freeze it, otherwise in the water it would sink. There are not a lot of landmarks! The best advice was that the spine enters the middle of the back of the head. The first shot (that was recoverd) actually clipped the top side of the spine and cut a grove in it. The shot dropped him. They wanted a second. I put it a little lower and to the left. That one hit square and buried itself into his spine - yes, did not exit the spine. The shot was 400 gr 0.410 @ 2350 fps. Good grief these are solid creatures.

I too have never see a walrus up close. Now that I have seen it I am going to shoulder mount, ahead of the flippers though. My wife is wondering where it's going....
@Pheroze - so other then the neck/spine shot, do they also take Walrus with a Brain shot the same a crocodile? If so, then is a drop down in caliber (.270, .30-06) allowed?

@Pheroze - so other then the neck/spine shot, do they also take Walrus with a Brain shot the same a crocodile? If so, then is a drop down in caliber (.270, .30-06) allowed?
That's how they hunt them. But it will destroy the trophy, they say

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlineCover

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!