Walker's Game Ear?

hunting4sanity

AH enthusiast
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
308
Reaction score
209
Location
eastern Washington
Media
27
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
1
Member of
RMEF, DU, SCI, NRA
I'm getting ready to head out on my first ever safari. I assume it's important to be quiet but at the same time hear what the PH is saying. My hearing is lousy and I have severe tinnitus. I wear hearing aids at all times, the hearing aids help some with the tinnitus, but they don't help block the sound of a muzzle blast. Does anyone have experience with the Walker's Game Ear? I've been looking at the models that go in the ear, not the muffs. I'm curious how well they block muzzle blast sounds, but still allow you to hear whispered conversation. To all you guys who can still hear - PROTECT YOUR EARS!!!
 
gday hunting4sanity
l use an ear piece when im in the treestand , havnt fird a shot since l got it last year .but it definitely is an advantage listening, I just cant tell which way the moving sounds are always coming from
but the ear muffs i have are the ducks nuts ,mate
they amplifie real well until a niose is to loud then i hear next to nothing .
we use them all the at practice and the kids are trained to use them wherever possibly .
cant say ive stalked with them ,or would .
but they proberly would work ok.
not certain they are the walkers brand you mention either
if you have hearing aids in why don't you just pull em out before setting up toi shoot ??
good hunting on your adventure ,mate
hope you bag out
 
if you have hearing aids in why don't you just pull em out before setting up toi shoot ??

Because, they are damn expensive to replace if he loses one, plus...they are not the easiest to take out sometimes.
 
Just hoping to find that balance of hearing what I need to hear and yet saving what's left of my hearing.
 
Back during a sale I purchased a set of "sport-ears". They have a cut-off of 85db or so. Meaning, they have an electronic cut off that instantly suppresses sound above 85 db.

I wore them on my first safari and since then any day in the bird fields or other hunting. I love not having to be concerned about my hearing. Just put them in at the start of a stalk and I can hear far better than I ever thought.

As an aside, I have darn near perfect hearing and can still hear to 14k hz at the age of 44. You old-tiers have taught me a lesson. I think I've only pulled the trigger maybe a half dozen times without hearing protection in my life.

Unfortunately I don't have an excuse whenever my wife says "Are you listening???" :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
 
I have been using them for years. I am now on my second pair...yep , pair. I first bought just one , and had trouble with sound direction. I now wear the pair , and won't hunt or shoot without them !
Like bluey says "they are the ducks nuts".
 
Just got back from using these in RSA for 9 days hunting. They worked great. Blocked out nasty sounds and was able to hear even whispered conversation great. The battery life was good enought that I was able to leave them in and turned on all day and never changed batteries once. They were pretty pricy but it was worth the peace of mind that if I needed to make a quick shot I didn't have to mess around with hearing protection.

The only problem is when you are trying to stalk and have them turned up to amplify sounds it makes you feel like you are the noisiest hunter that ever set foot in Africa.
 
I suffer the same malady, however I prefer simply making everyone repeat themselves two or three times.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,221
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top