W.J. Jeffery & Co. Limited Production Classic Bolt Action .500 Jeffery &.404 Jeffery Rifles

W.J.JEFFERY & CO.

Sponsor
Since 2023
AH member
Reaction score
Website
www.wjjeffery.com
Deals & offers
Media
WJ Jeffery_FP_Advert 2024-1.jpg
Ribbon with shield-1.jpg

W.J. Jeffery & Co. are pleased to reintroduce a limited production of their classic bolt action .500 Jeffery and .404 Jeffery rifles. Modelled after Jeffery’s original Magnum Mauser rifles of the 1930’s, these classic Big Game rifles are once again made in Birmingham and remain the pre-eminent choice for the pursuit of dangerous game.

Did Jeffery put Model 70 style safeties on their 1930s rifles? I thought I read where Jeffery and others were forced in the 20s and 30s to fall back onto building their big bores on standard actions?

Delighted to see the 404 making a comeback. It is perhaps the most accessible of the "obsolete" African cartridges.

Did Jeffery put Model 70 style safeties on their 1930s rifles? I thought I read where Jeffery and others were forced in the 20s and 30s to fall back onto building their big bores on standard actions?

Delighted to see the 404 making a comeback. It is perhaps the most accessible of the "obsolete" African cartridges.

John Olin invented the side safety around 1936 and they didn't catch on for custom mausers until quite a bit later. Jefferys built for iron sights back then, and even today have flag safeties. Their double square bridge models compatible with optics will have three position side safeties as all bespoke mausers built for optics do.

It's pretty hard to upgrade the near perfection of the German Mauser action or the British Sporting Rifle built upon it, but as an American our small claim to fame is two improvements from John Olin that are now ubiquitous in best guns. (side safety and gas port)

But no, early to mid-20th century best grade, large bore safari rifles did not have side safeties and they did not contemplate use of modern optics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
preibx

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's