VX-5HD 1-5x24 edge distortion, is this normal?

Laniarius

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH)
Hunted
Ontario, Namibia, Alaska
I just purchased a VX-5HD 1-5x24 (model 171385 non-CDS) and my first impression is I'm surprised at the optical quality. At 1x it has a bit of a fish-eye look. I don't have any other 1x "higher" end scopes to compare it to but I thought it would be better. Upon side by side comparison with my VX-5HD 2-10x42, both set to 2x, the 2-10 is sharper. For example, with the 2-10 I can focus on the lettering on a beer can from 15 feet away, and move the scope from crosshairs on the lettering to the edges of the field of view on the lettering, and the letters stay in focus throughout. The view loses focus at 2x at the edges with my new 1-5x, and the effect is worse in the horizontal direction than the vertical. Yes the 2-10 has a larger objective but this was well lit indoors, so lighting/ exit pupil shouldn't affect the comparison here.

I don't think I'm being too picky for the cost of this scope, but I wanted to do a reality check and see what the scope connoisseurs on here think. Does this sound like a quality problem I should send in? Thanks.

I don't own any Leupold scopes but my recently acquired "low end" Bushnell Elite 1-4x 30mm has no distortion at all on the edges. I just checked at 1x and 4x. No "fish eye" that I could discern. Something doesn't sound right. I can see the barrel and hooded front sight on 1x but would think that's not unusual for 1x and a very low mount ( = very quick acquisition which is very important for DGR).

Last edited:
I don't own any Leupold scopes but my recently acquired "low end" Bushnell Elite 1-4x 30mm has no distortion at all on the edges. I just checked at 1x and 4x. No "fish eye" that I could discern. Something doesn't sound right. I can see the barrel and hooded front sight on 1x but would think that's not unusual for 1x and a very low mount ( = very quick acquisition which is very important for DGR).
I've got the same Bushnell and don't see the same fish-eye effect. The VX-5HD glass is brighter in low light (testing in dim basement lighting) but I think something might be off with the lenses in this new 1-5x24.

My apologies if you tried this already, but adjusting the diopter to your eye is really important for image clarity on 1x. Sometimes they come out of the box with it turned all the way in. If you can’t get it adjusted perfectly to your eye at 5-10 yds, send it back.

My apologies if you tried this already, but adjusting the diopter to your eye is really important for image clarity on 1x. Sometimes they come out of the box with it turned all the way in. If you can’t get it adjusted perfectly to your eye at 5-10 yds, send it back.
Thanks. Yes, I'm adjusting the diopter. My main complaint is that at 1x I can get a sharp image on the crosshair centre but it degrades noticeably at the edges. This also happens at 2x but doesn't happen on my 2-10x42 at 2x.

I understand that for most shooting purposes, one first adjusts the diopter to get a sharp reticle by pointing at a blank wall. But the image looked off so I've been doing these focus comparisons.

Ive got the same scope on my 416... I dont have any degradation on the edges at all in mine while on 1x..

Thanks. Yes, I'm adjusting the diopter. My main complaint is that at 1x I can get a sharp image on the crosshair centre but it degrades noticeably at the edges. This also happens at 2x but doesn't happen on my 2-10x42 at 2x.

I understand that for most shooting purposes, one first adjusts the diopter to get a sharp reticle by pointing at a blank wall. But the image looked off so I've been doing these focus comparisons.
I have seen this in a couple of different scopes, same manufacture and model. This is an optical QC issue causing spherical aberration. Bad lenses, mounting alignment or both.
Send it back to Leupold.

I have seen this in a couple of different scopes, same manufacture and model. This is an optical QC issue causing spherical aberration. Bad lenses, mounting alignment or both.
Send it back to Leupold.
:S Agree:

Send it back.

Attachments

Didn't I just see on another thread where someone just picked up that same Leupold scope for $400?

Didn't I just see on another thread where someone just picked up that same Leupold scope for $400?
I think that was the VX-3HD 1.5-5x20. I got the VX5-HD because it's 1.1" longer and I need that for proper eye relief position even with an extension base/ring. I also wanted to avoid the CDS wheelygig as debated and discussed in another thread that I started pretty recently.

The Leica Amplus 6 1-6x24 4A is in the same ball park for price as the one you have. Might want to see if you can get your money back and make a move.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Leica-Amplus-6-1-6x24i-4A-Riflescope-50100.aspx
Thanks. I'm reluctant to try that one because the eye relief is stated as only 3.5" and I don't think it would work for me. O.2" makes a difference when it's right on the edge. I recently got a Z3 3-9 and found the eye relief to be less than advertised- it was advertised as 3.5 as well. I love the Swaro glass and found a home for it on my 30-06 with the help of an extension ring.

Only if Leica understates eye relief would that scope be an option for me. I'd need to see before I buy and the only stores I know of in Canada that sell those are in western Canada and I live in Ontario. Anyway, thanks again.

Thanks. I'm reluctant to try that one because the eye relief is stated as only 3.5" and I don't think it would work for me. O.2" makes a difference when it's right on the edge. I recently got a Z3 3-9 and found the eye relief to be less than advertised- it was advertised as 3.5 as well. I love the Swaro glass and found a home for it on my 30-06 with the help of an extension ring.

Only if Leica understates eye relief would that scope be an option for me. I'd need to see before I buy and the only stores I know of in Canada that sell those are in western Canada and I live in Ontario. Anyway, thanks again.
Eye relief is a specification based on optical science.

Eye relief, for each person, is individual.

Check each and every scope for your eyes.

plus 1 for the send it back to Leupold gang. Just got my vx2 3-9 back after it gave me some fits, totally reworked it and good as new. Even fixed the magnification ring which has always been very tight to move when adjusting.

Eye relief is a specification based on optical science.

Eye relief, for each person, is individual.

Check each and every scope for your eyes.
Right. My eyes are deep set underneath a Neanderthal brow and require extra eye relief. This Bushnell has 4-4.5" eye relief and I still got tagged on the noggin at the range last week, albeit relatively lightly. Shooting that 404 on the bench requires a firm grip on the fore end. It ain't no 30-06!

I think that was the VX-3HD 1.5-5x20. I got the VX5-HD because it's 1.1" longer and I need that for proper eye relief position even with an extension base/ring. I also wanted to avoid the CDS wheelygig as debated and discussed in another thread that I started pretty recently.
When I first changed scopes on my Springfield, I had to go with extended ring on the front to accommodate the short tube and proper eye relief. But then I added iron sights and wanted QD rings. No one makes extended QD rings so I had to change from two-piece to one-piece multi slot base. Not the prettiest but it works.

I missed that thread I guess. What is CDS wheelygig?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomenicTur

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?