VX-5HD 1-5x24 edge distortion, is this normal?

Laniarius

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH)
Hunted
Ontario, Namibia, Alaska
I just purchased a VX-5HD 1-5x24 (model 171385 non-CDS) and my first impression is I'm surprised at the optical quality. At 1x it has a bit of a fish-eye look. I don't have any other 1x "higher" end scopes to compare it to but I thought it would be better. Upon side by side comparison with my VX-5HD 2-10x42, both set to 2x, the 2-10 is sharper. For example, with the 2-10 I can focus on the lettering on a beer can from 15 feet away, and move the scope from crosshairs on the lettering to the edges of the field of view on the lettering, and the letters stay in focus throughout. The view loses focus at 2x at the edges with my new 1-5x, and the effect is worse in the horizontal direction than the vertical. Yes the 2-10 has a larger objective but this was well lit indoors, so lighting/ exit pupil shouldn't affect the comparison here.

I don't think I'm being too picky for the cost of this scope, but I wanted to do a reality check and see what the scope connoisseurs on here think. Does this sound like a quality problem I should send in? Thanks.

I don't own any Leupold scopes but my recently acquired "low end" Bushnell Elite 1-4x 30mm has no distortion at all on the edges. I just checked at 1x and 4x. No "fish eye" that I could discern. Something doesn't sound right. I can see the barrel and hooded front sight on 1x but would think that's not unusual for 1x and a very low mount ( = very quick acquisition which is very important for DGR).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joie026513

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.