Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
SA, NZ, Montana, Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
Could those of you who own viper sticks comment on the type you have.
Holland guns shows the aluminum base model at $290 and the carbon model at around $500.
The alum break down to 45 inches and the carbon to 28 inches.
Then there is option for 5 th leg to stabilize?
These are expensive but worth it if your shots on game are better.
Thanx for your thoughts!

I would get the 5th leg. The are incredibly stable, a bit awkward though. I have only used the aluminum model, so hopefully someone has some experience with the carbon.

I have used the carbon, they are very stable and easy to get behind. They fold up fast and move well. I find them to be as fast as a tripod setup just way more stable.

I will be ordering the carbon set personally.

I have been using Viperflex sticks for a number of years now. I started with the base model and now use the carbon sticks. There are a couple of advantages to the carbon sticks.
They’re lighter first, marginal but it counts. They pack down easier if you are traveling. Your hands do not get cold carrying them. Not a problem in Africa but in Ireland during the winter I found the metal transferred the cold. I haven’t used the fifth leg but I’m sure it would give some added extra stability. However I am perfectly content with 4 legs.

B308DA53-C14F-4809-851A-B7E300D02BB0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a set of Viper Flex Journey XL and I agree with @Sika98k. I have been using it at my local range to practice shooting my double rifles. It is very quick to set up and gives a plenty stable platform. Though I haven’t used it in the field yet, the build quality is excellent and I would recommend it highly.

I purchased them from Bush Wear last year and it was a pleasure dealing with them. Very responsive customer service and my order was shipped out the same day. You might want check them out. .

Thank-you all for giving me your experience with these shooting sticks. I appreciate your advice. Regards rick

I have the carbon sticks and the 5th leg. I find them clumsy to use, slow to set up, noisy, and despite
lots of practice with them I've gone back to custom tripod sticks!

Thanx Surgeon 1 ! I have purchased the carbon version without the third leg . I am adjusting to them as we speak . They are sure stable but I think I need a step by step process for opening them with rifle in hand .

I have the carbon sticks and the 5th leg. I find them clumsy to use, slow to set up, noisy, and despite
lots of practice with them I've gone back to custom tripod sticks!
Take a look at international sportsman on Utube. They have a great video of different ways of deploying the sticks.
These were the first commercially available quad sticks. Since then there have been many copies, some good, some worse. Stable sticks are a close runner. I’ve been using Viperflex for a few years and frankly wouldn’t leave home without them.

I am not in anyway connected with Viperflex. It’s just a good product.

I used these in on safari in South Africa.

I was offered to use Vioerflex or a Tripod version of sticks. I found the Viperflex stable and I adapted quickly , but I did not have to set them up the PH was there for that.

I only had limited experience on a tripod I purchased for practice prior to travel

I don't generally see hunters in Australia hunting this way but I expect the carbon Viperflex are light and short intended for travel.

Could those of you who own viper sticks comment on the type you have.
Holland guns shows the aluminum base model at $290 and the carbon model at around $500.
The alum break down to 45 inches and the carbon to 28 inches.
Then there is option for 5 th leg to stabilize?
These are expensive but worth it if your shots on game are better.
Thanx for your thoughts!
@Rickmt
First time I came across them was in Namibia. They were the carbon fibre ones and the best invention since button up boots as Nd sliced bread. They are the closest thing you can get to a brnchrest in the bush. It almost like cheating but I will take all the help I can nodays.
Bob

I have been using Viperflex sticks for a number of years now. I started with the base model and now use the carbon sticks. There are a couple of advantages to the carbon sticks.
They’re lighter first, marginal but it counts. They pack down easier if you are traveling. Your hands do not get cold carrying them. Not a problem in Africa but in Ireland during the winter I found the metal transferred the cold. I haven’t used the fifth leg but I’m sure it would give some added extra stability. However I am perfectly content with 4 legs.

View attachment 417322
Hi,
That is a super sexy looking rifle. May I ask what make and caliber it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdbull

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]