Video BASA (Big Bore Association of South Africa) shooting day 20 May 2023

Thanks Frederik, for posting.
We were lucky to catch this the other day on YouTube recommendation, we enjoyed, really good to see some of these rifles put through their paces!

A good example of what we get up to on our Big Bore shooting days and what the ranges is like.
May being hunting season we only had 67 participants. The ranges are almost never the same excpet for the CHASA buffalo range which is a range that is being shot by other associations throughout the year with a national ranking scoring.

Next shoot is 19 August as a lot of members will be hunting during the eason we have 6 shoots over the course of the year. Then also have the big gun shop Safari & Outdoor hosting a DGS shoot or two during the year. Competing in all the events gets you through about 200 rounds of big bore per year which is good fun and practise of course.
Wow…all off hand no sticks or slings to help you steady the gun…impressive!!!

G'day Frederik

Fully agree on the need to include a fast reload during a percentage of matches. A skill that needs to be instinctive. My question is about starting from the unloaded.

I have similar reservations about too many of our matches that start with a loaded rifle but with the safety off. IMHO we need to have our matches start from a standard field carry ie either safety applied or bolt up. If people practice starting from loaded but safety off, this is what the 'muscle memory' will perform when a dangerous situation occurs ie repeat the most practised behaviour. I can easily envision someone throwing the rifle to the shoulder and pulling the trigger only to have nothing happen because the safety is still applied.
If you have at look the Croc and leopard range you will see we start with loaded rifle and safety on.
The Chasa Buffalo is the same two rounds loaded safety on.

So we don't just stick to one way on range, some is limited to load two rounds only favouring doubles.
Other ranges you can load your magazine full.
Some ranges you start bolt open some closed and on safe.

Wow…all off hand no sticks or slings to help you steady the gun…impressive!!!
Thank you when the pooh hits the fan there is no time for slings or sticks so we practise it this way and it has come to great help over the years hunting PG and DG.

Maybe I missed it, but was there a list somewhere of what cartridges/calibers were being shot by the participants in the video?

A couple of them looked to be shooting small(er) bore rifles.

Maybe I missed it, but was there a list somewhere of what cartridges/calibers were being shot by the participants in the video?

A couple of them looked to be shooting small(er) bore rifles.
@Jack Stevens here you go the list and info of the shoot.

Some of the junior shoot with smaller bores as well as visitors just too have fun.

Attachments

• BASA 20 May 2023 - Results and stats (1).pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinceRaq97

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg