Verney Carron Double Rifles

I have not read through this entire post (nor do I intend to do so). That said, I own a VC double in 600NE. It is an incredible shooting machine. I purchased it from Ken Buch dba Kebco about a year and half ago. I shoot it regularly using reduced loads with 5744 behind 900gr CuttingEdge solids or my own 900gr cast bullets. Dead on at 50 yds regardless of what I stuff in it. View attachment 572185View attachment 572186View attachment 572187
That's a Round Body, indeed. Beautiful Build & Nice Case.
(VC Photo Thread)
Many Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
We are talking about 2 very different kinds of Damascus steel in the link and the type on a purdey rifle. One a chemically induced pattern and the other pounded layers (very $).
Not meaning to be rude, but are you sure that you can create a Damascus steel pattern through painting some chemicals onto steel? I appreciate that you can acid-etch and patinate - it can make some very attractive colours and patterns on bronze and copper - see, eg. Koji Hatakeyama and, more prosaically, radiators - but I would be surprised to hear that you could effectively create a stencil of Damascus pattern. Even if you did, would you not get an uneven surface where the acid had eaten into the steel?

I have looked it up on the internet, and all I can find are details of how to use acid etching to enhance the Damascus pattern.

By the time that you had faffed about with the chemicals and all, it seems to me that you would probably be best just buying a billet of the ordinary stuff from the steelworks.

Not meaning to be rude, but are you sure that you can create a Damascus steel pattern through painting some chemicals onto steel? I appreciate that you can acid-etch and patinate - it can make some very attractive colours and patterns on bronze and copper - see, eg. Koji Hatakeyama and, more prosaically, radiators - but I would be surprised to hear that you could effectively create a stencil of Damascus pattern. Even if you did, would you not get an uneven surface where the acid had eaten into the steel?

I have looked it up on the internet, and all I can find are details of how to use acid etching to enhance the Damascus pattern.

By the time that you had faffed about with the chemicals and all, it seems to me that you would probably be best just buying a billet of the ordinary stuff from the steelworks.

Attachments

VC is a bespoke gun maker. Any available currently would be on the used market. I was able to purchase mine as a show sample.

Attachments

I don't mind sharing. I love this gun. It was case colored but has been carried a LOT so it has a good amount of finish wear at receiver and front of barrels but I love that too. It's a real working rifle.

View attachment 532562View attachment 532563
I just ordered my new 470 with colour case hardening, how long did it take for yours to wear off? It's something I did consider when placing the order.

My V/C was used when I got it...carried a lot and shot a little. Don't know how much time had passed.

Just recently sold mine. It was chambered in 400/450 NE 3”. It was a beautifully made rifle with a burled walnut stock. Fit and finish could not have been nicer as well. It was perfectly balanced and swung onto target easily. Never hunted with it but blew up a few red stumps.

This is an old post but I have a VC in 450NE 3 1/4”. It was 2nd hand when I bought it from my hunting guide friend just before he died….. pretty sure at least one other member here used it on Aussie buffalo.
Strong, reliable and accurate. Only thing I have done is articulated the front trigger as the French make petit (small) trigger guards and I have gorilla hands. I also fitted a red dot.

Attachments

• IMG_0392.jpeg
    IMG_0392.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TressaMcNa

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better