Venison steak, medium rare

Myself being a minimalist (some call it lazy), a personal favorite of mine for almost any venison, including waterfowl meat, is to simply fry it in bacon grease until almost but not quite medium rare.
Place it on a room temperature or slightly warmer plate, cover it ( foil or a small stew pot lid works well) and let it rest for about 2 minutes.
It will continue to cook a bit, while resting under its tent.
If all the planets line up perfectly, when the tent is removed, the meat is medium rare.
Then enjoy it with a decent red wine.
Malbec is my preference with game meat.
But other grapes yield proper red wine for paring with game meat as well.
Cheers.

PS:
This is not a good recipe for hare / rabbit or upland birds.
Ducks, geese, swans and cranes however are quite good this way, as are deer, elk, moose, pronghorn, etc.

WARNING:
Bear and boar need to be well done, in order to kill dangerous parasites.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,917
Members
169,464
Latest member
Levergunsite
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top