Using PPU .330 bullets in a 318 W-R ?

IRN-BRU

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
BASC
Looking for advice from anyone who has hunted with the 205 gr ppu bullets.

I ordered my .330 barrel before the wood Leigh factory burned down and I’m now trying to find an alternative bullet.

I’m in the U.K. so don’t have all the options you guys in the US do.

main use will be wild boar.

Last edited:
I saw Phillip Massaro used Hornady 205 8ishmm if they were made for a Mannlicher of some sort,

Hi yes I can’t get the hornadays over here only ppu.

They are made for the 8x50r and 56r and also the 8mm lebel I believe.

Oops i meant to write diameter of Hornady was .330 as PPu is if all is right in the measures.

He write little bit here,also Hawk is mentioned.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.22.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.22.16 AM.png
    3 MB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.22.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 10.22.17 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
I would suggust you slug the bore and go from there...Contrary to reports, woodleigh has something in the works....I woulld give Hawk a call, and GS Customs is back in So. Africa and getting ready for business Im told..Good luck in your task...Keep in mind at the worse case scenario, you could rebore to a 35 Whelan or better yet a 9.3x62 so all is not lost.

Looking for advice from anyone who has hunted with the 205 gr ppu bullets.

I ordered my .330 barrel before the wood Leigh factory burned down and I’m now trying to find an alternative bullet.

I’m in the U.K. so don’t have all the options you guys in the US do.

main use will be wild boar.
Bertram in Australia make a 180 grain & 250 grain .330 bullet for the 318 WR as well as brass & Woodleigh are planning on re opening, i also would like to try the PPU bullet but i do not think its imported in to Australia.

The PPU is the right diameter, so aside from perhaps being made for lower velocities there’s no reason why it wouldn’t work while Woodleigh get back up and running.

The reason I’m looking at the ppu bullet is the Bertram bullet isn’t being made anymore as the factory burned down.

Hearing that GS is back in RSA and preparing to open again is really great news! They have made top rate monolithic copper bullets and hope they can get going again after the crappy way they were treated here in US.

The reason I’m looking at the ppu bullet is the Bertram bullet isn’t being made anymore as the factory burned down.
The Woodleigh factory burnt down not Bertram.
that’s what I meant it was 2am here when I replied. I’d just been woken up by a very angry 4 yo.

Ive had a cup of tea and my brain is now functioning!

that’s what I meant it was 2am here when I replied. I’d just been woken up by a very angry 4 yo.

Ive had a cup of tea and my brain is now functioning!
I could not find that .330 bullet on PPU web site do they still make it?

Send them an mail and ask,if they make the 8mm Mannlicher then the bullets are hopefully around in loose form.

If its only a bullet concern, Buffalo arms makes a 208 grain 330 caliber and a 205 grain Spitzer in the .330. Im sure they would ship them to you anywhere as they are just bullets. Give them a shout and im sure there are others out there as well. Good luck with it.

Last edited:
If its only a bullet concern, Buffalo arms makes a 208 grain 330 caliber and a 205 grain Spitzer in the .330. Im sure they would ship them to you anywhere as they are just bullets. Give them a shout and im sure there are others out there as well. Good luck with it.
I just purchased 300, 250 grain .330 round nose Bertram bullets from Rebel Guns, a shop in Brisbane. For brass i formed 200 318 WR cases from new PPU 30/06 brass trimmed to length & annealed the necks i now have 650 projectiles that should see me out . I am still waiting for Swan Gunsmithing to fit the bbl for me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HwaLoving2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well