Using mill surplus ammo for hunting rifle

Isn't military surplus ammo solid core non expanding?

I wouldn't use it for hunting if it is.

Hi, @Speedbattle999

I would not use army surplus FMJ military ball for hunting the big antelopes of Iran because the bullets will go right through them without causing significant damage to the vital organs.

It’s been 14 years since I was last in Iran, but isn’t Sellier & Bellot brand 180Gr round nosed soft point sporting ammunition for the .30-06 Springfield still available over there ?

Hi, @Speedbattle999

I would not use army surplus FMJ military ball for hunting the big antelopes of Iran because the bullets will go right through them without causing significant damage to the vital organs.

It’s been 14 years since I was last in Iran, but isn’t Sellier & Bellot brand 180Gr round nosed soft point sporting ammunition for the .30-06 Springfield still available over there ?
Hi ,
Well , I had two concerns about this ammo , first concern was not harm my firearm second accuracy. To make this Roy’s more effective for hunting I decided to make a little hole on top of the projectile to take care of the expansion .
Yes there are some premium ammo for sale here in Tehran with price tag of $10. Each round .
And also funny prices for rifle itself .
Let’s pass on political subjects , the last thing I need is to beg to Mr. President to pay for my freedom ..

IMG_8845.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be wrong but I don't believe the OP is in the U.S. I get the impression he is an Iranian or from another country in the region. Ammo choices and availability for him may not be as easily obtainable as they are here.
Yes . Correct , being in Tehran after 30 years , is hard to believe what I am seeing , tell me about ammo choice , $10. Per round for premium ammo , and you gentleman’s complain about ammo price in USA .
Also I paid $1. For each round of these surplus ammo .

You may want to try some expansion test with your modified ammo. Not knowing what you have available I'd suggest a stack of wet newspaper, even some wet clothing would work.

You want to be able to recover the spent bullet to see what it is doing.

On the corrosive primers, I have read that if you give your rifle a thorough cleaning after a shooting session you should be alright. The problem come from letting the acid from the primers sit on the metal long enough that it is hard to clean off and has started to cause damage.

You may want to try some expansion test with your modified ammo. Not knowing what you have available I'd suggest a stack of wet newspaper, even some wet clothing would work.

You want to be able to recover the spent bullet to see what it is doing.

On the corrosive primers, I have read that if you give your rifle a thorough cleaning after a shooting session you should be alright. The problem come from letting the acid from the primers sit on the metal long enough that it is hard to clean off and has started to cause damage.
Thanks , most useful words I need to hear and heart warming.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those bullets look like some that I recovered from North American elk back when I was shooting cup and core bullets

Thanks , most useful words I need to hear and heart warming.
How much penetration did you get with those? You might consider putting one of your homemade soft points up top for perfect broadside shot followed by FMJ bullets at least for the stag. At least FMJ bullets you’ll get reliable straight line penetration. It also appears you have two types of bullets one with a closed base and most others with an open base from that photo. The closed base will retain more weight if you can identify the ammo with those bullets for your homemade soft points.

How much penetration did you get with those? You might consider putting one of your homemade soft points up top for perfect broadside shot followed by FMJ bullets at least for the stag. At least FMJ bullets you’ll get reliable straight line penetration. It also appears you have two types of bullets one with a closed base and most others with an open base from that photo. The closed base will retain more weight if you can identify the ammo with those bullets for your homemade soft points.
They are open base and recovered from the dirt around target no info on penetration length. I try to do newspaper test and have the result here .

Those bullets look like some that I recovered from North American elk back when I was shooting cup and core bullets

The only thing the copper jacked was recovered with no lead on it or very little lead attached to it .

The one with close base is a 270 win belong to my friend was shooting same time with me .

I have seen so many good rifles destroyed by using corrosive ammo, that I would never use corrosive ammo my self, in my guns.
Army could cope with corrosive ammo, because they require frequent cleaning from GIs. They have time for that.
But that type of frequent cleaning is hard to be expected from average civilian and rifle user.

I was frequently shooting in my younger days, yugo mauser 98 clone, with surplus ammo.
The rifle required thorough cleaning at least for next three days, after shooting.
Only if done properly by the end of third day cleaning, a clean patch would be coming out.
Next what I noticed, all clubs rifles, that used corrosive ammo, after some years have been destroyed.

That said, just make sure surplus ammo is not corrosive.
Then do whatever you like with it. Reload with hunting bullets, or just do the training at the range.

Can’t see a problem with these if that’s what you have to hunt with. As one said above. Better than a sharp stick. And as another said Corrosive ammo is only a problem if you’re lazy in your cleaning regime.
You know it maybe trouble for your rifle, so clean after each range session and take a bore snake a cleaning kit when hunting.
The holes you drilled should work fine. Deer culllers in nz used to cut the nose off their ex surp ammo with plies to get the expansion. Worked for them.
I’d just be quick to reload for a follow up shot.
Good luck and happy hunting.

The holes you drilled should work fine. Deer culllers in nz used to cut the nose off their ex surp ammo with plies to get the expansion. Worked for them.
Cutting the nose of FMJ bullet is arguably hazadrous thing.
The hazard is that if cut off the tip too much, lead may pass through leaving the jacket in the barrel.
then next bullet will jam, and gun can explode.
Thats the risk.

I know a guy, who makes on metal plate 4 mm holes, puts the bullet tip through the hole, and grinds away the tip that sticks out. In this way at least the bullets are of similar shape and size. But, the above risk still remains

Another method is to reload the bullets with back side front, and fmj tip seated backwards. Up to 100 meters, accuracy should be sufficent for hunting.

Now disclaimer.
All above is not recommended and don't do it, you may cause harm or injury to yourself or others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristaBas

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!