USA: Grouse Hunting With My Son & A Double

Carson

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Usually when people post about hunting with doubles on this site, it's for dangerous game. I've wanted a side by side shotgun for several years. Last week I bought a nice looking AYA side by side 12 gauge. I needed to break it in so I took my son grouse hunting yesterday. We got one grouse 5 minutes into our hike and bagged it. 30 or 40 minutes later we had filled our limit!

The new (to me) shotgun worked great. The weather was beautiful and the fall colors were impressive. It was a day to be remembered for my son and me. He couldn't stop talking about how awesome it all was.
IMG_20241005_101800754_HDR.jpg
IMG_20241005_100921508_HDR.jpg
IMG_20241005_084459832_HDR.jpg

Wow! That is a great day afield. I’m sure your son will never forget it

Looks like a great time

I do a fair bit of grouse hunting here on Vancouver island with some youngsters. You might want to keep your eye for a SxS 20 , my empierce is a twelve tears up bird a bit too much for my liking. And when you son gets older it is a nice place to start him with light loads.
Cheers
Pat

I know just what you mean!!! I just got a Beretta Silver Hawk SxS 12 gauge that shoots like a dream!!!

I do a fair bit of grouse hunting here on Vancouver island with some youngsters. You might want to keep your eye for a SxS 20 , my empierce is a twelve tears up bird a bit too much for my liking. And when you son gets older it is a nice place to start him with light loads.
Cheers
Pat
Yup, I've already got my eyes peeled for a side by side 20 or 28 gauge for my boys to shoot. I thought my kids had to be 12 to start hunting, but apparently they can upland bird hunt at any age. So we're gonna get them setup.

Cheers
Pat
@BC Pat - I know what you mean about a 12ga for Upland birds (bigger then needed) but just switching to simple 12ga target loads ie: 1oz of #8s at 1180 fps solves any problems…and you can also get 7/8s oz loads for a 12 ga. While I like my 20 ga & 16 ga —- I think the 12ga is the most versatile and offers a wide range of loads from 2 1/2” 7/8s oz up to 3 1/2” 2 1/4oz “jaw breakers”. What i really like best about the 20 ga is the smaller and lighter shells — take up less room in your pockets

My 20 gauge grouse gun actually patterns better than the 12 I bought for grouse.

So I use the 20 and it’s plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChelseyShu

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia