USA: DIY Goat Hunt, Kodiak Island

Excellent adventure! I noticed the electric wires around your tents. Did you see any bears or have any encounters?

We were actually thinking we'd see more bears than we did. I mean, it IS Kodiak, right? And we were lower than I planned on; we were told the bears were mostly sub-alpine during this time.

Point of fact, we saw a single bear. We had one come in one evening. We were in the cook tent. He came ambling along through the willows - which were wait to chest high around camp. The wind was such I honestly think he did see us until he was right on us. It was calm. We heard brush. We went out of the tent to look. He stood up maybe 40 or 50 feet from the tent. He sniffed a couple of times, and took off like his tail was on fire. I would have guessed it at a fairly young but adult male, and he was easily the darkest brown bear I have ever seen.

We saw plenty of bear sign, but he was the only bear we saw.

Enjoyed reading about your hunt. I hunted Kodiak in November and tried for some goats as well, they busted us before we could get a shot. I was bear hunting primarily so didn't want to waste to much time and energy trying again. One of these years I will get down there again and try to get one. Kodiak terrain ( a lot of Alaska actually) is difficult to fully describe to someone who has not been there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XJCPatrick

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]