Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
It’s that time of year again…time for Canada goose hunting with my friend IGS! First, a quick pic from opening day of last season. Always good to start off a year with a reminder of the last one. It's also a reminder to me that I did a horrible job last year of taking pictures of any real value. A good writer knows that a picture is worth...well you get the point. And I'll do better this year.
1724960678564.png

To recap for those that haven’t read one of my previous reports on Canada goose in NY. For those that have, skip down to the next paragraph.

This is a conservation goose season from the 1st to the 25th of September. Bag limit is 15 Canada goose/person/day in the areas we will be hunting. The reason for the high limit is to reduce the number of Canada geese that are non-migratory (resident) because they consume the resources that the migratory geese are trying to eat. During migratory season (starts toward the end of October) the limits range from 3 to 5 geese/person/day depending on the area you are hunting. In short, take (all) the geese that won’t leave and take it easy on the migratory ones.

It doesn’t feel like it, but this will be my third year doing conservation goose season with IGS. The first year was not too bad, but I missed opening day and that’s the one day that CAN’T be missed. 2023 was much better and we downed more geese than I’ve ever done before. That said, we still learned a lot and will apply those lessons to this season.

Another good thing is making friends with like-minded sportsmen who live in the area. In total there are about six, plus IGS and me…a good-sized group without being too big. The best part is that these guys are experienced hunters. That means they have their own gear, know how to call geese, can actually down birds and most of all…are courteous and ethical hunters.

Right now, I’m packing and making final arrangements. Laying gear out, spraying clothing with permethrin and seeing if there is anything else we need before I head out. IGS has been scouting the area and doing his own prep work to get things ready.

BTW – The amount of prep he’s been doing is at the guide level. I’ve been texting and talking to him for the past few weeks and the list of things he’s sorting out is incredible. Mudding in blinds, daily scouting for geese, prepping the float boat & kayak, checking blinds, visiting people whose land we will be hunting on…etc. What a great friend to have. This probably deserves a nice bottle of bourbon. Here are a few pics of him scouting for geese while fishing the river this morning.
1724961063816.png

1724961159593.png

Stuff I’m doing is only what I can from 350 miles away. Pretty much making sure I have everything. Waders, boots, shotgun, shells (TSS of course) and just about every other piece of kit I could find in the bin marked “goose”. LOL. I believe the only new piece of kit is a game strap from Dive Bomb because I couldn’t hold more than four geese in each hand…and there were still more floating that I needed to grab! Still haven't found a good way to take a picture of all the crap I'm loading up, but I'll try to do something about it.

Ear pro…I forgot to mention this. Last year I brought the Tetra Multi-Pursuit Custom Shield along with some regular (non-electronic) custom plugs. Good thing I had backup, the Tetra’s died because I failed to change the batteries before I left. Currently I’m debating on whether to take them or not. This past turkey season I used a set of Sordin Supreme Pro-X and really liked them. I’ve also used them at the skeet range several times…not sure the Tetra’s will make the trip, but we shall see. The regular plugs are always present.
1724961232836.png

Jeez, is he using an anchor rope for a stringer?!? Yankees ....... :rolleyes:

If I don’t do it now, I won’t get around to doing it at all. Not sure how useful this will be but here is a picture of what is currently ready to go. I will also say that I haven’t gone through my list 100% and I’m certainly missing more than a couple items…but nothing major. At the same time, some of this will not make the trip. Still sorting things out. I have about 24 hours to procrastinate, then it’s two hours to pack. LOL.
1724964355033.png

Jeez, is he using an anchor rope for a stringer?!? Yankees ....... :rolleyes:
LOL.

Said he couldn't keep the lure in the water without something hitting it. No rain for the past few days and reduced water levels mean clear water in the river and the fish have concentrated in the deeper pools. Easy fishing for those in the know. Said he caught over 100 fish in just a couple of hours, not to mention the more than 20 flights of geese that flew directly over his head! Let's not forget the real reason he was out there...scouting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerryVow

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]