USA: Aoudad Hunt On The Mexico Border

Well done. I am also interested in hunting Aoudod and this style hunt is appealing. I’d probably go later in the year as 90 degree temps isn’t my thing when stalking in full sun.

While we were glassing some rams across the canyon, someone said wow, look at that. We turned to our right and there was a single old ram walking towards us on our side! He kind of had his head down and seemed like he didn't have a care in the world...or maybe another ram had knocked him silly and he was just looking for a place to nurse his head ache. You don't turn down a gift like that so my friend pivoted 45 degrees and shot him in the chest. The ram turned and ran towards the cliff edge and my friend got another shot into him dropping him just a few yards from the edge.

View attachment 635320
Offf lucky he dropped on the edge, I’ve had more than one red deer in NZ that didn’t man just hated it when that happened and you have to go fetch :sick::ROFLMAO:
Great hunt report by the way really enjoyed that!

Congrats but .......

For all things Holy PLEASE hang that mount with his eyes level to the floor ;) ;) o_O o_O o_O

Great shooting and some very nice trophies. Some very nice pictures too! Congrats. On your list of places to hunt them I'll add RSA. There are some free ranging/low fence animals there. I think we were in the Western Cape and was told that they had been there since the 60's.
Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I had heard there were some aoudad options in RSA. Thanks for adding that.

Well done. I am also interested in hunting Aoudod and this style hunt is appealing. I’d probably go later in the year as 90 degree temps isn’t my thing when stalking in full sun.
Good thing is you can hunt them any month!
This was a hunt in march outiside Marfa, Tx near where @Green Chile hunted.

IMG_2884.jpeg
IMG_3839.jpeg

How was the wind on that winter hunt?

Thank you for taking the time to make this report @Green Chile

Your friend got a smashing ram as well! - good area, good guide, and great hunters. Always a recipe for success.

Everyone thinking about it should do it. Go experience the trans-pecos region of west Texas and hunt these amazing tough goats. It’s a “hunters” hunt

How was the wind on that winter hunt?
It was windy coming In That afternoon. Watching the snow get hung up on those “mountains” was amazing.

It was calm after that day

We didn’t know if the snow would stick… it’s not very common - we woke up to a winter wonderland.
IMG_3796.jpeg

Those hills don't get a lot of snow. I bet those rocks were slick! Beautiful photos though. I bet those javelinas were looking for some heat!

IMG_1024.jpeg
IMG_0030.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0048.jpeg
IMG_0047.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0053.jpeg
IMG_0076.jpeg
I don’t get the point that aoudad are not treated as a invasive species, in my younger days landowners were very much pervasive that we try to keep them in check, now they are a expensive cash cow , I had run of lots of ranches to help them get rid of aoudad, now hunting them would seriously a hurt on my check book $4000-$6000 per ram
Here are some of my free hunts from when I hunted mule deer and pronghorn
And I left lots of them just lay where they fell because of the fact some were impossible to go cut off the head or maybe come back later to get them
They are imo terrible diesese spreading vermin, tearing up fences, ruining and competing with every native species like mule deer , bighorn, whitetail, pronghorn
IMG_1024.jpeg
IMG_0030.jpeg
IMG_0045.jpeg
IMG_0044.jpeg
IMG_0048.jpeg
IMG_0047.jpeg
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0053.jpeg
IMG_0076.jpeg
IMG_0140.jpeg
IMG_0197.jpeg
IMG_0198.jpeg
IMG_0204.jpeg
IMG_0841.jpeg

Last edited:
I used that scope for about 3 seasons taking a dozen animals. Worked fine for me in that short time. I primarily use Swaros.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FletcherHa

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.