USA: 2024 Wyoming Shiras Moose

Wyfox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I was fortunate to draw a once in a lifetime Shiras moose tag in Wyoming this year. I spent countless hours digital scouting on Google earth, OnX, talking to Game Wardens and biologists, and some actual scouting. I decided not to start hunting until the moose rut was in full swing which is the first week of October.

I arrived at my destination on Sept 29th and setup camp and met my brother in-law in town as he was going to spend the first week with me to help out on the hunt.

September 30th we were off before first light to look at an area I hadn't scouted yet then to a place I found scouting to glass a large valley in prime moose country for the rest of the evening. Since it was day 1 of a 12 day hunt I wasn't really too serious yet so we just took it easy looking at potential places and picking elk hunters brains.

That evening with some assistance from some nearby elk hunters we glassed up a great looking bull at 1 1/2 miles away on a big aspen covered ridge. We only had 10 minutes of good light left so the game plan was to comeback at dawn and try and relocate him and make a move.

October 1st at about 7am we were back in the glassing spot to try and locate the bull from the night before. The same elk hunters were next to us to glass for elk, as it became light we discovered the bull moose from the night before was only 135yds away directly below us. I setup my tripod and got the bull in my crosshairs, we were above him and he was facing away so I decided to place a bullet between his shoulder blades into his chest cavity. Shooting a 300 WinMag with a 181gr Hammer bullet the shot rocked him but he was still on his feet. He immediately turned broadside after the shot and I placed another on the high shoulder to anchor him. After a bunch of high fives and hand shakes we made the steep descent to the bull to claim the prize.

Good looking bull. Congrats. How many preference points? I had 21 I think on my last moose.
Bruce

Congratulations, that is a really nice looking moose

That is a great Shiras!! They are hard to get a shot at....congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteffenWkl

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]