UPPER BODY STRENGTH

Hi all got a question : Picked up my Miroku the other day to have a bit of mounting practice ,and it was a bit of struggle , so it looks like i need to work on my upper body strength ,or I'm just getting old LOL , how do other shooters over come this problem
@Sharing246: Being in shape and having good lean muscle is always helpful but is NOT needed to shoot well and just take a look at the Top Sporting Clays shooters in the World - many are grossly over weight and struggle to walk up the stairs to the shooting platform, some can’t walk a Sporting Clays Course (about a mile) and “must” ride a golf cart and “sit” when Not shooting…but man can they shoot !! There are exceptions but so many GREAT shooters couldn’t walk up 5 flights of stairs or do 10 push ups but they shoot “lights out”…wish I was one of them !
Agree with others that some very light weight lifting will Not hurt and might be helpful but Gun Mount Drills will be the best to perfect your gun mount. Start by watching videos on Utube of Top Shooters demonstrating “How to mount” then replicate that, in front of mirror or with flashlight (as demonstrated). 5 to 10 reps VERY slow, perfect form, rest—- repeat. 30 to 100 reps a Day EVERYDAY.
Don’t follow advice - watch videos from Top Shooters AND get a Lesson form an NSCA instructor——a good instructor would be the best starting point and they are listed By State on the NSCA website….well worth the few $100s you will spend.

I have a Total Gym. Shoot any kind of clay, trap, skeet, sporting clays. Also Prairie dogs, and long range shooting, 600 and 1000 yard benchrest

The older you get, the more important overall fitness is. I’m 65 and in better shape now than I was at 45. I walk every day, minimum goal is 10,000 steps a day but with the nice weather we enjoy this time of year Ive averaged 14,000 steps/6.6 miles walked a day For the last couple months. I also lift weights 2-3 days a week and work out in the pool a few days a week.

Consistency in exercise and eating healthy with plenty of protein and avoiding junk, both food &drink, will not only get you where you want to be; you’ll sleep better, feel better, have more energy and look better. Drink lots of water. Be consistent for 90 days in doing all these things and you’ll be amazed at your progress.

The older you get, the more important overall fitness is. I’m 65 and in better shape now than I was at 45. I walk every day, minimum goal is 10,000 steps a day but with the nice weather we enjoy this time of year Ive averaged 14,000 steps/6.6 miles walked a day For the last couple months. I also lift weights 2-3 days a week and work out in the pool a few days a week.

Consistency in exercise and eating healthy with plenty of protein and avoiding junk, both food &drink, will not only get you where you want to be; you’ll sleep better, feel better, have more energy and look better. Drink lots of water. Be consistent for 90 days in doing all these things and you’ll be amazed at your progress.
@DLSJR: I agree as we all get older “overall fitness” becomes more important however if the “foundational exercise, diet, & workout routine” has Not been established by age 30-40 it becomes VERY difficult to change your lifestyle at age 50 and the Benefits of doing so are diminished (but still worthwhile). Nothing NOTHING beats great genetics - some people abuse their body, eat bacon daily and drink excessively daily AND live to 100+…but the rest of US must work a little to maximize out health potential.

@DLSJR: I agree as we all get older “overall fitness” becomes more important however if the “foundational exercise, diet, & workout routine” has Not been established by age 30-40 it becomes VERY difficult to change your lifestyle at age 50 and the Benefits of doing so are diminished (but still worthwhile). Nothing NOTHING beats great genetics - some people abuse their body, eat bacon daily and drink excessively daily AND live to 100+…but the rest of US must work a little to maximize out health potential.
Hank, I actually agree with you to a degree. But not completely.

I‘m 65 and as recently as 3 years ago I wondered if I’d have to sell my house that I’ve lived in since 1987 as I was having great trouble just going up and down the stairs. I was in terrible shape and felt pretty lousy. I decided to change for the better and not just avoid illness but achieve great wellness. I was very heavy, blood pressure was around 135/90 and my doc was telling me he was going to put me on blood pressure meds. Cholesterol had nudged over 200 for the first time in my life to 205-210. Doc was talking about cholesterol meds too. I also was told by an orthopedic surgeon who performed meniscus surgery that I’d need a knee replacement when I turned 65 and got Medicare.

I committed to turning my health around and got very serious about it 2 years ago. I've now lost 60 pounds from my high weight and will lose another 30 this year. My blood pressure with no drugs at all is 115/65, cholesterol is 190, blood sugar is 88. I take NO prescription drugs For blood pressure, cholesterol or blood sugar. Those stairs that I could barely go up and down a few years ago…. I now go up and down them like I did when I was 35.

The key has been an integrated approach that includes eating as much as I want but making healthy choices about what I eat and drink. A lot of water everyday, couple cups of coffee and my one vice is a Celsius energy drink pretty regularly. I seldom drink alcohol of any kind. I limit starches such as potatoes, bread and pasta. I have eliminated added sugar as much as possible. Lots of meat of all types, beef, chicken, pork, seafood and wild game. Plenty of eggs, avocado, nuts, salads. I try to sleep 7 hours a night, sleeping more hours in winter and less in summer. I’m also a big believer in supplements and take a variety every day. And I make it a point to exercise every single day. Lots of walking including hills and stairs, weight lifting, pool aerobics, some swimming.

When I was 62 I was in terrible shape but now at 65, I’m in pretty decent sheep shape and could easily go on a sheep hunt this fall. I feel great and I’ve done it simply by taking a broad based approach and executing it consistently. While I agree that it’s harder the older you are when you start, most people can do it if they set their mind to it and follow through.

It’s never too late to start, at least until you’re dead.

Hank, I actually agree with you to a degree. But not completely.

I‘m 65 and as recently as 3 years ago I wondered if I’d have to sell my house that I’ve lived in since 1987 as I was having great trouble just going up and down the stairs. I was in terrible shape and felt pretty lousy. I decided to change for the better and not just avoid illness but achieve great wellness. I was very heavy, blood pressure was around 135/90 and my doc was telling me he was going to put me on blood pressure meds. Cholesterol had nudged over 200 for the first time in my life to 205-210. Doc was talking about cholesterol meds too. I also was told by an orthopedic surgeon who performed meniscus surgery that I’d need a knee replacement when I turned 65 and got Medicare.

I committed to turning my health around and got very serious about it 2 years ago. I've now lost 60 pounds from my high weight and will lose another 30 this year. My blood pressure with no drugs at all is 115/65, cholesterol is 190, blood sugar is 88. I take NO prescription drugs For blood pressure, cholesterol or blood sugar. Those stairs that I could barely go up and down a few years ago…. I now go up and down them like I did when I was 35.

The key has been an integrated approach that includes eating as much as I want but making healthy choices about what I eat and drink. A lot of water everyday, couple cups of coffee and my one vice is a Celsius energy drink pretty regularly. I seldom drink alcohol of any kind. I limit starches such as potatoes, bread and pasta. I have eliminated added sugar as much as possible. Lots of meat of all types, beef, chicken, pork, seafood and wild game. Plenty of eggs, avocado, nuts, salads. I try to sleep 7 hours a night, sleeping more hours in winter and less in summer. I’m also a big believer in supplements and take a variety every day. And I make it a point to exercise every single day. Lots of walking including hills and stairs, weight lifting, pool aerobics, some swimming.

When I was 62 I was in terrible shape but now at 65, I’m in pretty decent sheep shape and could easily go on a sheep hunt this fall. I feel great and I’ve done it simply by taking a broad based approach and executing it consistently. While I agree that it’s harder the older you are when you start, most people can do it if they set their mind to it and follow through.

It’s never too late to start, at least until you’re dead.
@DLSJR: You are the “Exception” and a good example of what can be accomplished with determination and discipline….at any age in life. Most people are “unwilling or unable” to make those changes late in life - even though it is possible many people just lack the discipline to make significant healthy changes to their lifestyle after age 30-40s. Also, some “damage” may have already been done that does Not completely reverse (liver, heart, kidney disease, diabetes) —Although just stopping further progression is very possible and worth the effort. I have always exercised and watched my weight - it has been part of my daily life since I was in college and remains so, I enjoy exercise so for me - it’s not difficult to maintain a routine. As I’ve gotten older several of the friends I use to Hunt with - can no longer handle the minor physical effort required so Now, it’s usually just Me & my Son - which is fine….he’s my best friend. I also still enjoy hunting alone and hope to continue that well into my 80s (assuming I get there!). Still, we should all plan for old age and diminished physical capabilities because “its coming” sooner or later. When we purchased a new home recently - “stairs” was a consideration and we looked for a Ranch House. We ended up buying a 3 story ! BUT, there is room on the main level for a Master Bedroom and already a full bathroom - so at some point in our lives we will be moving down onto the main level….at least that’s “the plan”.
You, have accomplished a lot - few men your age can make that dramatic improvement in health & fitness…..CONGRATULATIONS !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidTaine

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?