UPPER BODY STRENGTH

Sharing246

AH member
Reaction score
Hi all got a question : Picked up my Miroku the other day to have a bit of mounting practice ,and it was a bit of struggle , so it looks like i need to work on my upper body strength ,or I'm just getting old LOL , how do other shooters over come this problem

Hi all got a question : Picked up my Miroku the other day to have a bit of mounting practice ,and it was a bit of struggle , so it looks like i need to work on my upper body strength ,or I'm just getting old LOL , how do other shooters over come this problem
Hunting is motivation thats for sure. I thought it would take longer to get old! Stay fit, but I bet it's as much about your legs and core as it is the arms.

Repetition…

When our youngest daughter started shooting sports her coach had her stand in front of a mirror and mount the gun 100 times a day…

She went from barely being able to make it through a single round to being able to run 300 birds a day in practice and tournaments in no time…

And I hasten to add that I turn 72 in a few months. :(

Mounts. Repetition. Done slowly.

Best practice, if you want to learn to mount cleanly (without the barrels dipping), take a small maglite, wrap electrical tape around it so that it fits snugly into the barrel.

Turn the light on, mount cleanly to the seam between a wall and ceiling, then move in a straight line along the seam.

You should be focused on the light beam (target) so you will be able to see what is happening at the barrel.

While you are getting stronger, do this a couple of times per day for 5-10 minutes. You will be amazed at what your mount (probably) looks like now, and how much better it will be after some work

Mounts. Repetition. Done slowly.

Best practice, if you want to learn to mount cleanly (without the barrels dipping), take a small maglite, wrap electrical tape around it so that it fits snugly into the barrel.

Turn the light on, mount cleanly to the seam between a wall and ceiling, then move in a straight line along the seam.

You should be focused on the light beam (target) so you will be able to see what is happening at the barrel.

While you are getting stronger, do this a couple of times per day for 5-10 minutes. You will be amazed at what your mount (probably) looks like now, and how much better it will be after some work

Works well with a lazer type boresight also. Intermingle with using snap caps. The snap caps help with holding your aim on follow through and your firearm's trigger pull. As in switching from rifle to another, switching from one shotgun to another, switching from shotgun to rifle or visa versa, changing firearm actions as from bolt rifle to O/U shotgun. Using multiple snap caps also allows practicing rechambering and reloading your firearm, followed by remounting / reshouldering, getting back on target.

Burpees.

I hate burpees…but I do them to help stay in shape. Also repetition of mounting the shotgun like @mdwest advised. Start with 50 and work up to 100. Also good to integrate some dry fire practice to develop muscle memory for loading and reloading.

Then it’s time for burpees, resistance training and some cardio…followed by more burpees.

Make working out a regular part of your life no matter what your goals are. You will feel better as you age and look better too. It will make anything you do easier and allow more quality time time with family and friends.

Cut out shitty food, soda, sugar etc and try and eat as clean as possible. Cheat days are fine if they are the exception.

Alcohol/ cigars in moderation of course. And never skip arm day, chicks dig big arms.

Cheers

Burpees.

I hate burpees…but I do them to help stay in shape. Also repetition of mounting the shotgun like @mdwest advised. Start with 50 and work up to 100. Also good to integrate some dry fire practice to develop muscle memory for loading and reloading.

Then it’s time for burpees, resistance training and some cardio…followed by more burpees.
I had to Google Burpees to figure out what they are...
I don't know what cheese dick thought up that name.

The exercise is properly call a "Bend and Thrust", as in the little cadence ditty;
"My girlfriend has a 40 inch bust,
love to watch her bend and thrust!"
This YouTube captures a Marine calling cadence that would put Beyoncé to shame:
I bet referring to a 40 inch breast is not not allowed...
Here's one from the movie Full Metal Jacket;

While certainly not the subject of the above ditty, this young lady demonstrates a proper Bend and Thrust:
Here's a YouTube USMC workout routine that I save for my own pre-safari training!

I remember Drill Instructor Sergeant Mills stating, "I can watch privates bend and thrust all day..."
Lord help the recruit sent to the Quarterdeck!
Now I remember Sgt. Mills in my face like Gunny Hartman of Full Metal Jacket,
"Oooo-let, why haven't you been on my quarterdeck (in a long time)?"
"The Private hasn't made any mistakes, sir!", said I.
"Get up there!!!" was the good Sergeant's response. :)
If I could find Sgt. Mills today, I would sincerely thank him!
It was something like this:

Bend and thrusts are great for conditioning, discipline, and punishment.
Oops, I meant "incentive physical training (PT)".

Last edited:
My daily 5-mile stroll in the hills carrying the M1 Garand in my hands, followed by 25 pushups and 50 crunches.

And all the while hearing in my head SFC Blackburn (a.k.a. Sgt Blackheart) saying "I highly advise..."

I have the same problem, using 4kg dumb bells works well for my arms and general chest strength. For my upcomming buffalo hunt in October I will add squats and sit-ups.

• Haha
Reactions: 503

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
js7880084

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?