AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA and RSA
Hey all. I am not well versed in shotguns. I’m looking at getting an upland gun. To be honest I’ve shot a bunch of birds with my good old Remington 870. It has been my go to waterfowl gun since i was like 18. I shoot it well but im 35 now and want something a little lighter and perhaps a bit more refined to carry around here in the desert for quail and dove. I was hoping to not break the bank (got taxidermy bills to pay!) so I’ve been looking at the Weatherby Orion in 20ga with 26” barrels. Does anyone have any experience with the Weatherby Orion or should I really be looking elsewhere?

Go to a decent gun store and pick some different shotguns up and mount them.
See how they feel.
If they don't fit you well, you will not shoot them well.

(Moving from an 870 to a short barrel 20 gauge would be a shift in mindset.)

Go to a decent gun store and pick some different shotguns up and mount them.
See how they feel.
If they don't fit you well, you will not shoot them well.

(Moving from an 870 to a short barrel 20 gauge would be a shift in mindset.)
I am with @BRICKBURN on this. The Orion with 26" barrels will feel like shooting a fly rod compared to your 870. I have used OU and SxS shotguns almost exclusively for fifty years (used a Model 12 guiding duck hunters before that). I despise 26" barrels. It isn't a sighting plane issue (we don't aim a shotgun) as much as clean mount and smooth swing. Regardless of gauge, that begins around 28". Even my favorite quail guns, a .410 sidelock SxS and 20 OU have 30" barrels. An Orion with 30" barrels and choke tubes would be a fine choice for the hunting you describe.

To not break the bank and still get a generational O/U shotgun, my recommendations would be the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon One 20 bore or the Browning 725 Field or Citori Hunter.

If you were looking to more closely mimic the feel of the R870 but in a newer semi-auto, the Benelli SBE3 20 bore (inertia drive) or the Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus with Kickoff (gas operated) would top the list.

Taking a page from @BRICKBURN - Quality shops will have all of the above models for you to handle and see what fits you best. That being said, all of these are in the same ballpark when it comes to price. Right around $2K, give or take. For that price you will have a top quality firearm that (with regular care) is likely to be handed down to not only your children, but grandchildren.

I also agree with @Red Leg said, stick with 28" barrels as a minimum. If not for performance, then for resale. Then next buyer is likely to be looking for 28" barrels or longer. The trend is for longer barrels currently, with no end in sight.

Shotguns are a very personal thing, much more so than rifles. Your style of shooting will have a lot to do with what works well for you. The fact that you are shooting an 870 well leads me to believe that the 26” Orion is a very bad idea. I would think that a 6 1/2 to 7 pound 28 ga with 30” tubes and a stock that fits you would be a much better solution. Many who go after sub bores select guns so light that they are almost impossible to shoot well. You need some weight in your forward hand to shoot smoothly.

You are Relatively close to William, Larkin Moore and Sons. You should stop by and handle a bunch of guns to get some ideas.

To not break the bank and still get a generational O/U shotgun, my recommendations would be the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon One 20 bore or the Browning 725 Field or Citori Hunter.

If you were looking to more closely mimic the feel of the R870 but in a newer semi-auto, the Benelli SBE3 20 bore (inertia drive) or the Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus with Kickoff (gas operated) would top the list.

Taking a page from @BRICKBURN - Quality shops will have all of the above models for you to handle and see what fits you best. That being said, all of these are in the same ballpark when it comes to price. Right around $2K, give or take. For that price you will have a top quality firearm that (with regular care) is likely to be handed down to not only your children, but grandchildren.

I also agree with @Red Leg said, stick with 28" barrels as a minimum. If not for performance, then for resale. Then next buyer is likely to be looking for 28" barrels or longer. The trend is for longer barrels currently, with no end in sight.

Solid advice. I’ve said it many times, but in my opinion the silver pigeon is the best value over/under. It will shoot much better than the weatherby.

CZs are great for the money. I went with a Ruger Red Label because I like the look, but it is super heavy compared to a Browning Citori or something.

Solid advice. I’ve said it many times, but in my opinion the silver pigeon is the best value over/under. It will shoot much better than the weatherby.

Some shoot a shallow body (beretta) better, others shoot the deep body (browning) better. You really should try both before making a decision. As an engineer, I appreciate the design of the shallow body o/u, as a shooter, I appreciate the handling of the deep body o/u. As a hunter, I love the carrying and handling dynamics of a classic British SxS game gun.

I hesitate to recommend it, but the ultimate gun for the dove/quail application you indicate is a 2 1/2” British SxS with 30” tubes. It is the most dynamic and shootable shotgun you will ever pick up.

Last edited:
So many of you guys are suggesting 28” plus tubes. I can get behind that.

Many of you also have mentioned SxS as an option as well. I have no experience with SxS shotguns. Do the O/U guns or SxS guns seem to work bette for you all. I’m not against bumping up to other guns either. I’ll pay for something of quality if it’s a good value.

If you want to talk shotguns, give these guys a call....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dieseljzanzibar

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?