Unusual 10.75x68

gabrielguitars

Reaction score
Ok, fellas, I got an interesting one here. Not too many rifles in 10.75x68 Mauser in the first place, but this one’s not even on a Mauser! Springfield 1903 with German markings on the receiver. Possible wartime capture? Anyone else seen another? The bore is in nice shape, the stock not so much, but it’s solid. Made a chamber cast yesterday to verify, as the only hint to the chambering is the “22 gram” bullet marking on the receiver ring. Nice and light, handles well. Just waiting and searching for brass, just like everyone else.

Attachments

• IMG_7746.jpeg
    IMG_7746.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7747.jpeg
    IMG_7747.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7748.jpeg
    IMG_7748.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7749.jpeg
    IMG_7749.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 49
That is Cool being built on a Springfield action, must be super rare that, as you say 10.75X68 isn’t commonly found even in standard Mausers which you would think would be more commonly available in Europe ?

Is this just the "metric " equivalent of the 404 Jeffery?

No. The metric designation for the Jeffery is 10.75x72; it is longer and a larger diameter of case. The velocities are very close, with the Jeffery having a lower pressure due to the larger case volume. It is also a British cartridge, while the 10.75x68 is a German cartridge, the most powerful of all the Mauser cartridges. It was designed specifically to fit the 98 Mauser, where the .404 needs a magnum action.

No, the Jeffery has a brass length of 73 mm. The overall length L6 of the Jeffery is around 91mm, almost 9mm longer than the 10.75x68, as the bullet in the .423 Mauser (usually around 350 grains) is set quite deep
Symbol „Von der Community überprüft“

No. The metric designation for the Jeffery is 10.75x72; it is longer and a larger diameter of case. The velocities are very close, with the Jeffery having a lower pressure due to the larger case volume. It is also a British cartridge, while the 10.75x68 is a German cartridge, the most powerful of all the Mauser cartridges. It was designed specifically to fit the 98 Mauser, where the .404 needs a magnum action.
You are completely wrong.
.404 was made to work in a standard M98 action....

HWL

You’re right, it’s 10.75x73. I was thinking of the 11.2x72 Schuler
If it is a 10.75 x 73, then a .404 Jeffery?

Kinda makes more sense for a post WW1 1903 Springfield conversion. The .404 could be chambered in the M98 platform (and 1903) with modifications to magazine, feed rails, bolt face.

That is unusual!
I like it.

One can make 10.75X68 out of 458Lott brass (and I suppose 7mmRM, 375H&H or other belted magnums) but it's a lot of work - turning off the belt and resizing the base to do it properly. Just not worth the effort IMO as once you have ten or twenty pieces of correct brass that is enough unless you are really dead set on using it quite a bit.
Also, Hawk makes bullets but you can also use the 400gr 404 bullets. A bit heavy depending on what your magazine can take in the OAL department.
I make my bullets from 40S&W brass and that works well for the limited use my 10.75 gets. Quite gratifying though...
As to the back and forth about the 404, it is correct that the only thing the 404 and the X68 have in common is the bullet diameter (by .001-.002") and that the rifling twist for both in the original Mauser barrels was the same eventhough they have differing bullet weights.
The 404 was indeed designed to fit in a standard length Mauser '98 as Rigby had an exclusive on the Magnum Mauser actions at the time of it's introduction.
Funny, though, if Jeffery had trimmed the case neck to one bullet diameter in length it would have been an easier fit (rail work not withstanding). Instead, the 404 sort of mimicked the 450-400 3" Jeffery in design with a longer then necessary neck - at least as we look at it today.
The 11.2X72 Schuler is an entirely different case as well which ironically suffers from a too short case neck and a odd bullet diameter. Very powerful round though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BreannaBro

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles